How to see hours of use on HV-20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 5th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #1
Trustee

How to see hours of use on HV-20

Is there a screen in the menu that will show me the hours of use on an HV-20?

If not, is there a trick or technique to display this on a monitor?

If no to both, how do you get the hours of use? Thanks.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I haven't read the manual but I would think if there was an hours of use meter on the camera, it would tell you how. The HV20 is my 3rd digital camcorder and frankly I have never heard of such a feature. I guess by hours of use you mean the amount of time that the camera is powered on and not the different types of usage such as record, playback, fast forward, or rewind.

I would gage approximate usage by how many tapes you have run through the camera and total the amount of minutes recorded on each tape. This should give you a ball park figure on camera usage.
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Not possible for any Canon camcorder, unfortunately.

Keeping track of it manually via written logbook is your best bet.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It would be neat to learn total power-on minutes were actually logged somewhere by the firmware, but I've never heard of this in my limited experience.

The only metric I can think of is tracking the number of tapes run through the camera gives you the hours on the recording heads, not including re-recorded tapes.

Mulitply that by anywhere from 2-4x for total hours on the tape transport system for review and ingest.

Plus the hours spent just powered on playing around with the thing--wow this is starting to feel like estimating business travel mileage for the IRS.

I've owned an HV-20 for about five months, but I'm happy to report my original Elura from 1999 is still working, with just one servicing for the tape
mechanism.

Jim
James Bresnahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #5
Trustee

Before getting an XH-A1 and an HV-20 I only had Sony and JVC cameras. The Sony cameras and decks I have all give hours. I think the JVC does, too, but I don't remember now.

Surprised to hear that none of the Canon camcorders do. I would expect the higher end ones, like the XH and XL cameras would.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Canon never has offered it for any of their camcorders, XL series included.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders