DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   24p to psp and iphone? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/103086-24p-psp-iphone.html)

Bob Curnow September 7th, 2007 08:39 PM

24p to psp and iphone?

Hi,
I have a HV20, and was wondering what programs I needed to get from the 24p recorded footage to the native res of a psp and iphone?

The PSP has a native res of 480x272. I've read online that the latest firmware(s) finally allow native res playback of video... but the video has to be a certain format (avc/h264)? So I'd need a program or programs that will pulldown the 24p from the HV20, and then resize to 480x272. Also, will the PSP play a 24fps video, or do I have to adjust the framerate?

The iphone has a native res of 480x320. Does it play 24fps video? What format should the video be, H264 .mov? I'd need a program or programs that will pulldown the 24p from the HV20, and then resize AND CROP to 480x320. It would have to crop the video, since the iphone isn't 16x9... otherwise everyone would look tall and skinny (good thing I guess :) )

Thanks for any suggestions,
Bob C

Nathan Shane September 8th, 2007 06:28 AM

I use Sony Vegas 7 and it has an output template for PSP and works well. Their scaled down version of Vegas (Movie Studio - or whatever it's called) may also have the PSP output template. It makes sense that they've included the template since they make the PSP. The editing sotware will allow you to crop the video (if you feel you have to) or just resize it to fit within the frame size you determine.

Ray Bell September 8th, 2007 07:55 AM

the new CS3 versions of Adobe Premier also have this funtion....

I took a downloaded HD video off of a PS3 via memory stick and input it
to my PC and down converted it to play on the Apple IPOD and it worked
perfect....

can't tell you about the Iphone, mine will be here this coming Monday...

as to the HV20... Cineform to capture and convert the 24p... into
Premier Pro for edit, output via Premier Pro for the size of the Apple products.

Eugenia Loli-Queru September 8th, 2007 02:24 PM

I have written some tutorials on how to do both, using freeware tools:
For pulldown removal:
http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/0...-24p-pulldown/
For exporting your HDV footage to various resolutions and devices (including ipod/iphone/psp), using my templates:
http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/0...box360appletv/

Bob Curnow September 8th, 2007 04:00 PM

Wonderful! Thanks everyone! Hope these programs can be purchased/downloaded online :) I want to tinker tonight.
Thanks,
Bob C

Eugenia Loli-Queru September 8th, 2007 04:41 PM

Give me a howler via IM or email if you need step by step guidance on my tutorials, I will be glad to help out.

Bob Curnow September 8th, 2007 05:30 PM

sure. Right now the only question I have is if the psp and iPhone will play 24fps, or if it has to be 30?
btw, I sent this from my iPhone.
Bob C

Eugenia Loli-Queru September 8th, 2007 05:34 PM

Yes, they will play them fine. All non-TV devices can do that.

Fergus Anderson September 9th, 2007 06:27 AM

I used the vegas template but my psp wont recognise the video :(

Wes Vasher September 9th, 2007 07:45 AM

I have done a lot of testing and I really like Apple's default iPhone preset in the latest QuickTime. I use QuickTime player to encode.

What I do is make sure I have the highest quality possible going into QuickTime, but make sure it's a 16:9 aspect ratio and not the native 1440x1080 of HDV. I usually use 960x540, the iPhone preset will nicely export that to 480x270 at under 1000 kb/s for video+audio and the quality is very good. This video will work on iPhones and iPods with video and actually looks quite good on a TV.

Not sure if the iPhone preset works on PSP's though. Does the PSP do H.264 or just plain MPEG4?

Eugenia Loli-Queru September 9th, 2007 12:25 PM

>I used the vegas template but my psp wont recognise the video :(

Do you mean that you used Vegas own template, or my template from my tutorial. Because mine does work...

Frank,
make sure:
1. You have a folder called "VIDEO" on the root of your PSP. If not, create it.
2. Make sure you have upgraded to the latest firmware. There are major differences in video support on different versions of the firmware.
3. Put the .mp4 video in that VIDEO folder and the PSP should recognize it.

>Not sure if the iPhone preset works on PSP's though. Does the PSP do H.264 or just plain MPEG4?

It does both, but it's EXTREMELY picky. Use my ffmpeg iphone+psp.bat template to create a video that works both with the PSP, the iPhone and the iPods.

Bob Curnow September 9th, 2007 03:37 PM

Hi,
I'm new to all this so here's my newbie observations so far (sorry for going a little OT)
I took my HV20 down to my brothers house; he has an amazing G5 setup. We captured a 'HDV24p' clip from the HV20 using imovie08 that converted it to apple intermediate codec 1920x1080.

We then used JES DEINTERLACER to inverse telecine the footage. The result was a 23.98fps 1920x1080 apple intermediate codec video. My brother thought it looked a little softer. To me, the panning was much more fluid; less of the 'strobe' effect of the original footage.

We then used the imovie template to make a iphone video of it, and it turned out great.

Now I'm back home and I'm going to tackle the XP method.

Thanks,
Bob C

Bob Curnow September 9th, 2007 10:21 PM

Hi Eugenia,
I used your iphone/psp 24fps template. It worked great, but it said "width or height not divisible by 16...." error, but it encoded fine.

I noticed the Sony vegas 8b platinum demo wouldn't allow me to save the lossless avi in 1920x1080; something about being limited to 1440x1080. Is this a limitation of the program? Does it matter? Prolly not since all HDV is limited to 1440?

Thanks,
Bob C

Eugenia Loli-Queru September 9th, 2007 10:37 PM

>but it said "width or height not divisible by 16...." error,

That's fine. The resolution on the template is fine: 270x4=1080. You could edit the .bat file and tell the resolution to be at 480x272 instead (so it divides by 16), but then 272x4=1088 and this would mean bad original resizing. So basically I had to select between worse final encoding (270), or worse resizing that would create a worse final encoding (272). None of the two solutions is ideal, but I chose the former. Don't worry though, you can't see the "worse" encoding with naked eye.

>allow me to save the lossless avi in 1920x1080

VMS won't support anything above 1440x1080 because the consumer HDV standard goes only up to that resolution (although this will change with AVCHD soon). It doesn't matter though, because when you save in 1440x1080 and then you use my 1080p and all my other FFMPEG templates, it will resize properly to 1920x1080 and other true 16:9 resolutions.

Fergus Anderson September 10th, 2007 05:20 AM

Ah just realsied that I encoded the mp4 using Vegas' template which is at the native resolution of the PSP's screen bu the PSP wont allow playback at the resoluiton from the mem card - how ridiculous!!!