Canon HG10 was finally released. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon HG10 was finally released.

Looks like the camera is now in stores. Amazon has it for under a thousand.
Dmitriy Uchakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
The 2.7" Multi-Angle Vivid Widescreen LCD fitted to the HG10 is a Canon Exclusive and new kind of widescreen viewfinder.
Is it different from HV20's LCD screen?
Quote:
An enhanced gradation neutral density (ND) system also provides better exposures in bright shooting situations.
A-ha! They confessed at last. Why did not they advertise built-in ND filter on the HV20?
Quote:
The 24p Cinema Mode enables all aspiring moviemakers to achieve a professional "film-look."
Is it known already whether fields are properly flagged for 3:2 cadence or not?
Quote:
The HG10 has an advanced Histogram Display which lets you fine-tune the exposure of your still images by viewing the brightness of your photos as you shoot
So no histogram for video mode?
Quote:
By pushing the Quick Start button in between shots, your HG10 goes into stand-by mode.
Seems like a pseudo-feature. Judging by Canon's QuickStart demo, it seems that regular start takes 7-8 seconds, too long imho. Realizing that this is a serious problem, Canon created QuickStart. They rather shoudl have installed a fast write-through buffer. Let's calculate: 15Mbps ~ 2MBps. Multiplying by 8 seconds, resulting in measly 32MB. Is this too much to ask? Instead they saved on memory, but added this stupid QuickStart mode and another button. Watch demo on Canon website. It seems that to start recording you need to press QuickStart button if the camcorder was in sleep mode, and regular Power button if it was properly turned off. Now one has to remember was it turned off or put to sleep. Poor design.
Quote:
Portrait mode ensures shallow depth of field for a flattering and undistracting background to portraits. Sports mode stops the action with faster shutter speeds.
Definite improvement in documentation. Expectations of customers' IQ is definetely rizing steadily in the last couple of years. Compare to the HV20 docs: "Portrait: the camcorder uses a large aperture, achieving a focus on the subject while blurring other distracting details. Sports: Use this mode to record sports scenes such as tennis or golf." Now compare to the Elura 80/85/90 docs: "Portrait: Use this mode to give accent to your subject by blurring background or foreground. Sports: Use this mode to record sport scenes (such as tennis or golf) or moving objects (such as roller coasters)." The next step would be to limit the description of, say, Portrait mode to simply "ensures shallow depth of field", and to explain notions of DOF and shutter speed in a separate how-does-it-work chapter and bingo! you will get a proper user's manual from 1970-ies.
Quote:
Canon has included an easy to use Corel Application Disc
I wonder does it include VideoStudio 11, VideoStudio 11 Plus, MovieFactory 6 or MovieFactory 6 Plus. Not that big a deal, but anyway, they should have been more specific.
Quote:
USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Terminal: Allows for DV streaming
Catching up with Panasonic? Good news nevertheless, it is always hard to understand for newbies why Firewire for video and USB for audio.
Quote:
In addition to the 2.7" Multi-Angle Vivid Widescreen LCD screen, the HG10's EVF lets you see exactly what your camcorder is recording, and what your TV will display later.
Does this mean no overscan? Or 3% overscan? My TV has 2%-5% overscan depending on the mode, and my Canon camcorder has larger overscan than my TV, this really hurts in tight shot situations.
Quote:
Directional Stereo Microphone DM-50. Get near-professional quality sound for your movies with this shotgun stereo mic.
This may be a good mic, but attached to HG10 the whole thing does not look nice. Why the mic is fully black, while Canon continues making silver-painted camcorders?
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Is it different from HV20's LCD screen?
Yes it is different from the HV20's LCD screen. It's identical to the HG10's LCD screen.

Quote:
Is it known already whether fields are properly flagged for 3:2 cadence or not?
It should come as no surprise whatsoever that 24p on this camcorder is identical to 24p on the HV10, HV20 and HG10 (that is, embedded in a 60i stream without flags).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
A-ha! They confessed at last. Why did not they advertise built-in ND filter on the HV20?
Because of the make-believe 'display' that you could call up on replay of the tape. If a frame was flagged as having been shot at 1/60th @ f/8 this aperture readout was only ever an extrapolation of the amount of internal ND used, and not the actual aperture. Better to keep customers in the dark (Ha!) than to tell them the whole film was shot at f/4. Panasonic, Sony, JVC - they're all the same BTW.

Of course the portrait and sports modes are the same thing - high shutter speeds to keep the iris wide and dof shallow. Landscape mode really needs small apertures for great dof, but I'm betting the Canon won't allow this as diffraction is so visible at apertures smaller than f/5.6.

Overscan is a real problem. More and more modern TVs don't overscan at all, so Canon's choice of words is just confusing. It's about time all camcorder v/finders were full frame displays like Sony's new EX, and be done with it.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
It should come as no surprise whatsoever that 24p on this camcorder is identical to 24p on the HV10, HV20 and HG10 (that is, embedded in a 60i stream without flags).
I was unaware that the HV10 had 24p.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bansbach View Post
I was unaware that the HV10 had 24p.
Indeed it does not -- my mistake (as usual).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #7
Major Player

And as near as I can figure the HG10 utilizing a rolling shutter, not a global shutter.

I understand the differences, but what anomalies might be expected.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Editing

Got my HG10 yesterday. So far, I've only tried 1080i.
I attempted to use the Canon-supplied Ulead software to edit files brought in from the camera, but it promptly crashed.
iMovie 08 was fine.
The surprise was Vegas on Windows, which opened the MTS file fine and let me do some editing. This is the trial version of Vegas Pro 8.0 Build 144 running on Windows Vista 64-bit. I was not expecting this to work, as I had read elsewhere on these forums that Vegas was only supporting Sony AVCHD cameras. However, as I state above, this is with 30fps 1080i, perhaps it will not work with the 24p frame rate from the camera, which I have not yet tested.
David Sayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sayed View Post
I attempted to use the Canon-supplied Ulead software to edit files brought in from the camera, but it promptly crashed.
iMovie 08 was fine.
The surprise was Vegas on Windows, which opened the MTS file fine and let me do some editing. This is the trial version of Vegas Pro 8.0 Build 144 running on Windows Vista 64-bit. I was not expecting this to work, as I had read elsewhere on these forums that Vegas was only supporting Sony AVCHD cameras. However, as I state above, this is with 30fps 1080i, perhaps it will not work with the 24p frame rate from the camera, which I have not yet tested.
Just a warning David....you know were gonna bug you for some footage...right???? :-)
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Ian - yes, but seems like everyone here just cares about 24p and since this is my "home movie" cam, I really don't that much - that's what my XH-A1 is for :)
Happy to post some stuff though and might get to it over the weekend!
David Sayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sayed View Post
iMovie 08 was fine.
I download an AVCHD file, and pulled it into Vegas 8, and it was editable, though in playing on preview, it was definitely jerky. I then rendered it to a Cineform .avi codec, and playback of that rendered file was perfect, and looked fantastic.

Vegas 8 specs indicate it does support Sony AVHCD.

In another thread, I have learned that you can use Cineform NeoHDV to convert the file to .avi and do pull down down of 24p footage. It does take some working with getting the right codec lined up, but the result according to Les Dit are perfect.
Old October 17th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #12
Trustee

Is the "microphone/headphone terminal" standard 3.5mm jacks, or something proprietary?
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hickling View Post
Is the "microphone/headphone terminal" standard 3.5mm jacks, or something proprietary?
Standard 3.5mm. The headphone jack is shared with the AV jack. The microphone jack is under the lens.
David Sayed is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders