Sony user gets the hv20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 15th, 2007, 04:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony user gets the hv20

I finally got my hands on the hv20. I've been using the hc1 and totally love it so I was eager to try out the hv20 and see what it can do.

Here's some early thoughts.

Image quality is definitely better and the cinemode is very natural looking with a good dynamic range. I guess I'll be using it for the most part. I tried the tv-mode but the contrasty edges jumped up immediately. I've been using sharpness at -2 on the hc1, but it still doesn't come as natural as the hv20. Hv20 has more real resolution though the difference isn't huge.

HC1 is way easier to control and operate. I can lock the shutter and basically control aperture and gain with the exposure lever. HV20 is more difficult to operate. I need to press more buttons just to get to the exposure lever and I have no idea how much the camera has gain. It's easy to see on the hc1 (six stops from the right is 0 gain). Haven't found any histrogram controls yet, but they maybe hidden somewhere along with zebras (where are they??!). Locking the exposure happens with one button on the hc1 and 2-3 presses on the hv20.

The viewfinder is a total joke on the hv20 and the lcd is a bit worse in terms of viewing angles. Cinemode is really nice and the progressive image does give a very filmic quality to images. Optical stabiliser is surprisingly bad. The electronic on the hc1 seems to work better, the HV20 likes to jitter and jump a bit too much for my tastes. Sometimes the jump can be huge and that creates a wobbly rolling shutter image.

Speaking of rolling shutter the cams seem to have almost the same amount of it. The hv20 seems to a bit worse or maybe its just the progressive mode giving the appearance of it.

HV20 has a better focusing system when the IAF is activated. It's the perfect autofocus for vacation videos. But I still prefer a manual focus and so the hc1 has the edge with its wheel. Eventhough it's not perfect either.

HV20 has better whitebalance options.

Well. So in conclusion the hv20 looks like a toy but makes great images with some effort. The hc1 looks and handles better but doesn't quite get the images to the same level as the hv20. HV20 has a progressive mode that's very nice.

Still waiting for a good hdv cam in this size class without a rolling shutter. JVC almost got it right, but I don't really care for sensors that are less than 1/3".
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Mikko, if you did not want/need 24p, would you still prefer HC1? Used HC1 cameras are sold for about the same money as new HV20 on eBay.
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jouravlev View Post
Mikko, if you did not want/need 24p, would you still prefer HC1? Used HC1 cameras are sold for about the same money as new HV20 on eBay.
Yes.

Reasons = better stabilization, better manual controls, a bit less rolling shutter. Image quality is slightly worse, but I can live with it. It still looks very good.

HV20 does give a better image (no need to deinterlace) and is a great holiday camera. HV20 actually fits in my pocket! Lowlight is definitely improved over the hc1, though it can look decent too when shutter lowered to 1/25. I'm going to use these both cameras in my small indie project this weekend so I'll give more comments then.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders