GL2 versus HV20 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 22nd, 2007, 05:33 PM   #16
Inner Circle

One thing you will miss on the GL2, is the zoom range. HV20 is only 10x. FX7 is 20x like your GL2, and goes to 30 x with a pretty spectacular digital enhanced zoom. When that camera came out, I saw some footage shot by the extra 10x enhanced that was amazing.. I think they just reduce a portion of the chip for the picture to be zoomed, and they have enough to extrapolate a great HD image still.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:13 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
Biggest trick is to simply readjust your audio gain for every shot. Don't think the same settings will produce the same results.
Thanks for the info and tips!
Jim Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:13 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I'm still thinking HV20, with that description.

And here's something to think about. You walk into a Disney stage show with a prolevel looking camera, are they going to object. That is one thing interesting about the HV20, it is non-descript, and looks like a simple consumer camera, and you can get by going places with it like a tourist. You can set up a camera with a tripod that looks touristy without issue. Although the GL2 is smaller than the VX line, the bigger camera may draw attention to you as a pro, and sometimes at parks, I heard discussions about people be hassled for permits, etc. I have never faced that, but just something I like about the HV20.
Yes, this comes in VERY handy for documentarians.

"No, officer, I'm not a journalist. I'm a tourist, here is my tourist visa. Here is my tourist camera connected to my tourist tripod. Just getting a few home movies to take with me of your beautiful country."
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
Yes, this comes in VERY handy for documentarians.

"No, officer, I'm not a journalist. I'm a tourist, here is my tourist visa. Here is my tourist camera connected to my tourist tripod. Just getting a few home movies to take with me of your beautiful country."
check out the Grand Canyon requirements:

http://www.nps.gov/grca/parkmgmt/filming.htm

and while you are at it, check out the cool 1950's telephoto video set up about 1/2 way down the page.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders