On Camera Mixer recommendation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 29th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #1
New Boot

On Camera Mixer recommendation

Forgive me, I'm a newbie ... background in still photography, and I have searched the forums in detail ... here's my three questions, all sort of related:

I have a HV20, and not being happy with the sound searched, selected, and bought a RODE SVM. Fine mic and all, but for my use, takes too much sound from behind, not enough from front, and for some of my use has insufficient reach and I need a shotgun (in place of remote mics). Trouble is, I think a shotgun will give me the exact opposite problem, and is only mono.

What I think I'm looking for is an 'on-camera' mixer allowing me to run both the SVM and a shotgun and mix the output and put the mix on tape, in Stereo (obviously run the shotgun over the top of both channels). Instead of the shotgun, I could use lapel mics or put another one closer to the source, and mix it back to the camera in the same way.

The small Beachtek unit only takes 2 mono sources and puts one on right channel and one on left, so you loose the stereo effect.

Is there such a small mixer? Other alternative is to use a Zoom H2/H4/R-09 to connect the second mic to and mix in post (more gear to carry, but might be more flexible)

Next question is should I move to XLR mics? If I can get a mixer that takes 1/8 plugs, is that o.k., or should I bite the bullet and go up-market (not really cost constrained - you should see the price of still photography gear!)

Last question, rather than running cords all the way from a remote mic, which is inconvenient usually, is there a small, reasonably prices wireless link you can recommend? Saves having to buy lots of different ones for different mic usages.
John A Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Clark View Post
I have a HV20, and not being happy with the sound searched, selected, and bought a RODE SVM. Fine mic and all, but for my use, takes too much sound from behind, not enough from front, and for some of my use has insufficient reach and I need a shotgun (in place of remote mics). Trouble is, I think a shotgun will give me the exact opposite problem, and is only mono.
What are you shooting primarily? Have you used a shotgun? I have the DM-50, and even in shotgun mode, I get a lot of ambient sound. Shotguns don't have all that much reach, so I'd be sure that it will achieve what you want. I'm gearing up to shoot volleyball, and am considering a parabolic setup to get the reach I want. And I'm trying to sort out the on-camera mixing, just as you are.
Jim Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #3
New Boot

The first time was an interview/presentation with the person 3 mt from the camera (would have been better with a lapel mic). Other uses will be school concerts, general kid activity, etc., hence the wireless question (i.e. mount the SVM out the front).

The shotgun would be more convenient, but I would expect looses the stereo atmosphere
John A Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Get the beachtek ... The one a phantom power

Don't worry about mixing channels on camera ... Do that later. On camera, just worry about getting good clean audio.

Yes, XLR is definitely the way to go. The first time you have to go any distance you'll know why.

Get a decent lav ... Definitely best option for a controled interview.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi John..........

A good way to solve your cable problems (and a couple of other things as well) would be to buy the Sennheiser EW100 G2 system with an extra receiver (the G2 comes with a "belt clip" transmitter, a "butt plug" transmitter [plugs straight into the XLR socket on the mic] but only one "belt clip" receiver.

This would allow you to run the lav mic "on board" talent and position your chosen handheld mic just about anywhere you want. You can, with a bit of fandangling, get both the "belt clip" receivers onto the HV20 handstrap together.

You also require an adapter to plug both units into the HV20. If the sound shop you buy from is any good, they should be able to build you a custom cable set (receivers to HV20) which makes life even easier.

From memory the G2 "belt clip" transmitter comes stock with a "transmitter socket to XLR plug" to suit a standard handheld mic, so you aren't limited to the lav.

Worth checking them out.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:10 PM   #6
New Boot

The EW100 looks like the way to go, plugged into a beachtek.

I have just ordered a Zoom H4 which will do for the stereo effect, and I can run the Ew100 over the top of it for content.
John A Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders