HV20 working out well for greenscreen! - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #76
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Caudle View Post
Ben - ah, I understand. So as long as the camera is stationary (probably a good assumption for non-star wars filming - the screen correction image can help to get a better mask.
Exactly.

Quote:
But, you seem to be saying that I can assign a profile of sRGB (on the PC) if I open a grab created from FCP on the Mac.
Yup!

Quote:
As for the gamma, if I open the sRGB labeled PS file on the PC, you seem to say that I don't have to worry about gamma?
Nope!

Quote:
I'm going to have to deal with similar issues (on gamma) when outputting Flash using Squeeze.
The issue is: who do you target? Mac users or PC users? If PC users, you'll do nothing to the gamma. If Mac users, you'll want to decrease the gamma by 0.4. Unfortunately, neither platform is smart enough to understand the source colorspace and compensate accordingly. :P
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Ben - it sounds like if my main market is web viewed on Windows, I should adjust the gamma of my Mac monitors to follow the Windows gamma? Does that sound reasonable?

Now if I can just figure a way to calibrate my hdmi output from FCP to 24" Samsung 245T (rather neat monitor, hdmi, dvi, rgb, s-video inputs).

I forgot to figure how I was going to calibrate the hdmi input, as my GretagMacbeth Eye One Display has no desktop or mouse on that monitor when receiving output from FCP thru hdmi.

Always something!
Les Caudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #78
Major Player

Les, FCP will adjust the gamma automatically to 2.2 while you're editing. What I'm unsure of in whether Compressor will apply that gamma when you output. I don't believe it does, but I could be wrong... In that case, you'll want to adjust the gamma when outputting using Compressor.
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #79
Regular Crew

clothing for green screen

Hi Ben
Other than the obvious ( green ) what color and type of clothing should I tell the talent looks best for keying.Look forward to getting your new software as will doing much green screen in the near future.
Thanks, Aldo
Aldo Visaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:15 PM   #80
Regular Crew

will new dvMatte Pro work in Motion

Ben - will the new version of dvMatte Pro work in Motion? Thanks!
Old December 21st, 2007, 08:31 PM   #81
Regular Crew

As far as the whole gamma issue (PC/Mac), I have found a solution... Well, at least a reliable way to display.

The new flash player can display H.264 movies. I have embedded a .m4v and .mov that look spot on (as far as gamma)... across all platforms and browsers.

The only downside, the player update is very new, so not everyone has it yet... but they will.
Scott Aubuchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 05:33 PM   #82
Major Player

Aldo, most colors should be fine. Anything in the green range will get obviously get desaturated... You may want to be careful with yellow as well -- it might be best to shoot some tests if you need to protect yellow.

Les, the new version does indeed work in Motion (2.0 and up) and FCP (5.1.2 and up)!

Scott -- good to know! Thanks for letting us know what you wound up doing.
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Ben - I gather the video tutorials are the hang-up for the release of dvMatte Pro 3.

Any chance on posting a quick demo from the creator using:
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

showing the proper use of the plug-in along with Screenfix, etc?

BTW - this thead is missing messages posted after Dec 22.
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #84
New Boot

Tutorials are the Delay

Les,

The tutorials are the delay. I posted it to the main forum, but it got bounced off. The talent is ill, so until that person recuperates, they're holding off the launch. DVGarage is a small company, and you can only launch a product once (in theory). Being sick is no fun, so hopefully they get better soon.
Best, Anthony Torres
(fwiw-I called for the straight scoop.)
Anthony Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #85
Major Player

Hey guys,

Yeah, Alex has been sick, and then I had some problems ensuring the demo versions would work in FCP 5... I did record screencasts for the beta test, and those might find their way online as well, I'm not sure. Regardless, I'll be recording some screencasts once we launch to show people some more advanced techniques.

Stay tuned!
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #86
Regular Crew

quick question... I have dvMatte blast, is it more efficient to use in final cut or motion... or does it not matter.

When I say efficient, I guess I mean quicker. Seems like it takes a while to render in FCP, but I have not done much testing in motion. (waiting on my new mac pro to ship)

Any insight would be great.
Scott Aubuchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #87
Regular Crew

Ben - I use ProRes 422 HQ. I've just realized that ProRes has no alpha channel, which kind of blew me away.

What is the best workflow to move between FCP and Motion, letting each do what it does best? Almost all of my clips will be green screen.
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #88
Regular Crew

I bought a BlackMagic Intensity Card to capture HDMI output from my Canon HV20 whilst recording green screen footage

I have a Mac Pro with Final Cut Studio2 and planned on capturing to ProRes422

What codec would you recommend? I would prefer one that I don't have to pay for.
Old January 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #89
Regular Crew

Ocean Zen - If you were asking the question of me, I've been recording in ProRes with no issues, but I'm trying to come up with a workflow to go back and forth between FCP and Motion.

I don't think filters make the trip, so stripping out the background in a 1st step and generating a new file seems to make sense.

But then, I'm very new at this and was hoping someone with more experience would chime in.

Maybe FCP7 (sometime this year??) will add another ProRes codec - or Apple could add this to Quicktime anytime they wanted for more power.

Or - maybe a CineForm solution is the way to go?
http://www.cineform.com/products/CineFormRecorder.htm
Old January 29th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #90
Major Player

Les, you should be able to roundtrip between FCP and Motion without rendering, so codecs shouldn't come into play.

Ocean Zen -- ideally, capture to Blackmagic's uncompressed codec. You payed for the card, so you might as well get true uncompressed footage from it! :)
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders