Getting HV20 to connect via Firewire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 6th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #1
Wrangler

Getting HV20 to connect via Firewire

Got a new HV20 (yeehaw!)
However, I can't get my computer to detect it when I plug in the firewire connection. It connects fine to computer via USB, and my Firewire port & cable work fine (other cameras connect).

I find the manual a little vague, can anyone tell me if I need to do anything to turn the firewire/DV port "on"?

Thanks
Old November 6th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Okay, I give up what computer/OS ??
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #3
Wrangler

Doh, sorry. Win XP on a medium high end PC, about 3 months old.
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dylan:

First, go into the HV20, in play mode menu, and check out setting in setup 2, for the DV out. It could be set to lock DV, or DV/HDV, upon detection.

To test ports out, lock it to DV. Then use your regular capture program, (Vegas, Premiere, or whatever) Just to capture downcerted DV.

If that works, then get HDVSplit off the internet (freeware) and try capture of the 1080i material with that. If your camera is switched on to play (VCR mode) HDV split should show it in a window when you start it.

If you get that far, then if you are having issues with your other software capturing, let us know.

Incidentally. Most of the software does not do pull down of the HV20 24p. I use Cineform's NeoHDV for that and it works great and give you an easier edit, albeit larger, file to edit. There is also freeware process that has also been developed to use too, but I was to dense to figure it all out...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders