HG10 quick summary for newbie? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:00 PM   #1
Tourist

HG10 quick summary for newbie?

I am planning to buy HG10 based on readings in this forum (learned a lot).
I was planning to get a HV20 because of bad reviews about 24p elsewhere on the web. But to be frankly, the information here is also mixed a little bit, so can any veterians here give me a quick summary?

1). Is it really that there is no big difference between HG10 and HV20 regarding video quality, and in 24P mode?
2). What kind of software I should buy to do some simple editting for the video? If I want to edit 24p (removing noise?), what software I need use? Can I watch 24P directly on my new LCD TV (Sharp 46D64U) without those noises?
3). How bad is HG10 for sports shooting? sometimes I'll love to take some soccer video if I can.
4). How is HG10 compared to Sony SR-7 (and SR-5)? I could not find any comparsion using google.

Here is my background: I am new to camcorder, have a relative new PC desktop.

BTW, for those who are also on the market for a HG10, buy.com currently sells it for $845 (or $787 throught its marketplace). and HV20 for $757.

Thanks for your attention,
Michiael Iper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:43 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

1. No difference.
2. Basic editing software is included. In this camcorder, 24p is recorded in a way (as 60i video) that can be edited and viewed normally.
3. It has a special scene mode for Sports.
4. The only comparison that counts is, how do these camcorders feel in your hands. Only you can make this determination. Try before you buy. The one which feels best in your hands is the right one for you.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:06 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for the quick answer and it really helps. I am going to order HG10 then. For 4), I really don't have any experience and I could not find HG10 in local stores here. So, I am more concerning about picture quality. If they are similar, Hg10 will be my choice for sure since SR7 is more expensive.

Any suggestions on good places for buying a extra batteries (I heard the original battery is not so good)?

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
1. No difference.
2. Basic editing software is included. In this camcorder, 24p is recorded in a way (as 60i video) that can be edited and viewed normally.
4. The only comparison that counts is, how do these camcorders feel in your hands. Only you can make this determination. Try before you buy. The one which feels best in your hands is the right one for you.
Michiael Iper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:10 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiael Iper View Post
I am more concerning about picture quality.
Picture quality is not determined by the camera. It's determined by the person operating the camera. Which camera you choose, will not affect picture quality. Between the SR7 or SR5 and HG10, you can't go wrong either way.

Quote:
Any suggestions on good places for buying a extra batteries
On this site we refer *all* where-to-buy questions exclusively to our trusted site sponsors -- most of them are Canon dealers: http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors -- or keep your money in your own community and buy through a local camera dealer.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 06:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have the HG10 and love it.
My only complaint is how good the image looks in the on camera LCD vs what I see once I play it out to a studio monitor. Images that look great on the camera LCD look "Not bad/pretty good" on my 17inch studio monitor.

The image on the LCD looks brighter and better color.

The good news is: I have been able to color correct the footage to get the same look I see in the LCD- but I wish I was getting what I see and avoid the color correct all together.

I don't think the camera allows you calibrate the monitor. If so- I would crank down the brightness and chroma.
Randolph Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #6
New Boot

more HG10 questions

I've never owned a camcorder and I'm now debating between the HV-20 and HG-10. The race is neck and neck....

I like the convenience of no tape but I understand the video quality of AVCHD cams (by and large) will be somewhat less....

What I have no clue of is- let's say the 40 gig drive on the HG-10 is filled. How long will it take to copy all those files to your computer? (more or less, obviously depending on various factors). I'm not excited about taking an hour to "capture" an hour's worth of tape.

Have the editing problems of AVCHD been solved? Yes, I've read that many NLEs now support AVCHD but is the editing as convenient as editing HVD? I have a high end PC, so I don't think that would be an issue.

Joe
Joseph Zorzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Zorzin View Post
I'm not excited about taking an hour to "capture" an hour's worth of tape.
Depends on several variables, and you're not "capturing" but simply doing a file transfer. Shouldn't take 15 minutes or so to dump a full drive to your computer.

Old December 7th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
1. No difference.
Chris, over in the Usenet newgroup, "rec.video"- somethere wrote the following:
AVCHD will exhibit, primarily, three kinds of digital artifacting:

1. Motion artifacts -- fine detail will appear to "swim" with any movement,
including panning or motion across the frame. This will be particularly
obvious when there are sharp contrast details, e.g. strong lines from bricks
or windows on a building, or leaves on trees.

2. Stair-stepping artifacts -- these happen with diagonal lines which,
instead of appearing as smooth, continuous lines, get broken up into "stair
steps."

3. "Mosquito" artifacts -- these appear around areas of sharp contrast and
look like tiny specks that "buzz" around the contrast line of demarcation.
So, it seems that some people strongly dissagree with you that there is "no difference".

Joe
Joseph Zorzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #9
New Boot

Some people are also deranged. If you look through some of the posts here you will find a link to some footage from both the HG10 and the HV20. Compare them and see.

I use an Sony SR1, for now. I also use an HV20. I use both for event video with a final destination of DVD. I used to use a GL2. After down converting, the images and color are better than beta (IMO) or prosumer DV. Crisp and clear with excellent saturation. I also use the HV20 with a Redrock M2 35mm lens adapter for indie film stuff. Awesome 24p footage.

At work I use a Panasonic AJ-HDX900. With lens and everything a $45,000 rig. I see the difference there. Not as much if I down convert the 1080p to 720p to match the 24p footage from the HDX900. The difference is there but relatively slight. It's not enough to get me to buy the Panasonic for home use. :D

I want the HG10 for a carry around and/or B camera. I have a second M2 to use with it. The advantages for travel are stupendous. Having 24p means I can do a 24p 2 camera shoot.

Seriously, the footage looks great. Some will say one looks better, some the other. 99% of the people who watch your stuff won't notice one way or the other and will probably only see it once. The other 1% are geeks like us who will study the footage from a consumer camera for comparison. This most likely means we have too much time on our hands!

In the end, you decide. For me, the ease of use and not having to carry tape is a big plus. Either way, I think you'll be happy.
Old December 8th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett A. Noe View Post

In the end, you decide. For me, the ease of use and not having to carry tape is a big plus. Either way, I think you'll be happy.
Brett, my inclination is to go with the HG-10. At this point my only concern is which editing program in the $100-200 price range is best. I found out at Pinnacle's web site that Studio Ultimate requires a minimum of an Intel core duo 2.4 GHz CPU and I only have a mere 2.13 GHz. I have a high end monitor and graphics card so they won't be the problem. Can you recomment an editing program in that price range that will work with such a mediocre CPU?

Joe
Joseph Zorzin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders