Travel Video with the HV20 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 17th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Mazza View Post
Hmmm, well it sounds like the Vivanco is the better one to get. What a shame it's not available here in the USA. I see now that it is a discontinued model. I did learn that what I am looking for is a "single point stereo microphone."

There are a few that I have seen that are in the $50-$60 range.
http://www.minidisco.com/Microphones...eo-Microphones

Specifically, the Sony ECM-DS70P
http://www.minidisco.com/Sony-ECM-DS...11&category=29

or the SoundPro SP-SPSM1 which is $10 less than the Sony but which doesn't come with an extension cable

http://www.minidisco.com/SoundPro-SP...11&category=29

What would you think of either of these?

Thanks for helping me out.

Judy

Judy
All of these would work, but there are two concerns:

1. You need the windscreen to protect the microphone from the water. The SoundPro SP-SPSM1 has built-in windscreens which would probably do the trick.

2. The smaller mikes don't have a built-in cable. you'd need an extension cable and the point where the plug goes into the jack would be a vulnerable leak point. Perhaps you can seal it with silicone or rubberized tape.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #17
New Boot

Travel Video with the HV20

I went back and looked at the manual. It says that any microphone that is plugged into the mic input must have its own power supply. So far, none of the microphones that we've talked about have that characteristic.

Wow, this is turning out to be more complicated than I thought!

Judy
Judith Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
I went back and looked at the manual. It says that any microphone that is plugged into the mic input must have its own power supply. So far, none of the microphones that we've talked about have that characteristic.

Wow, this is turning out to be more complicated than I thought!

Judy
That's only if you're using a phantom-powered mike. All of the mikes we've been talking about will work just fine.
Old December 19th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #19
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Tauger View Post
That's only if you're using a phantom-powered mike. All of the mikes we've been talking about will work just fine.
I saw some microphones with that phrase, "phantom-powered" but I don't understand what that means.

So, when the HV20 manual says that the microphone has to have its own power, it still will work? These microphones don't seem to have batteries or another power source.

Judy
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
I saw some microphones with that phrase, "phantom-powered" but I don't understand what that means.

So, when the HV20 manual says that the microphone has to have its own power, it still will work? These microphones don't seem to have batteries or another power source.

Judy
"Phantom power" mikes use power supplied by the mixer. No consumer mike requires phantom power -- either they're dynamic (a type of microphone that generates its own power using sound) or they use a battery.
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #21
New Boot

I was thinking of adding the Reactive MT-1 microphone stand, which comes with a 6' extension cable to attach to the camcorder. I figured I could use the tripod with its flexible legs to attach to an article of clothing (sticking out of a pocket, for example) along with the SoundPro SP-SPSM1 stereo microphone. It would also allow me to use the microphone 6' from the camcorder, which might come in handy some other time.

How do you think that would work?

Judy

Last edited by Judith Mazza; December 20th, 2007 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 20th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #22
Wrangler

I suppose that would work. It's really a matter of personal preference. I do two kinds of travel videos -- for one kind, I use a tripod, carefully compose shots, choose filters and lenses carefully, etc. For the other kind, it's essentially "run and gun," walking around shooting what interests me. For the latter kind, I find it's best if I'm as unencumbered as possible. I like using the lapel mike in those situations (when the camera is under a cape) because it's easy to clip it to the outside of the cape, tuck up the wire and then forget that it's there. Carrying something in my pocket that's attached to the camera just adds clutter as well as a cable that can snag on something. Also, when it's raining and I'm using a cape, I'll attach a collapsed monopod to the tripod screw on the camera. This gives me a handle with which to hold the camera, and also lets me do quickie boom shots -- it's particularly useful for getting above the heads of the crowd. In that instance, I particularly wouldn't want the microphone anywhere but on the rain cape.

However, it all depends on how you shoot.
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #23
New Boot

Hi Paul,

That makes a lot of sense. I hadn't thought about using a collapsed monopod in that way. I always carry a Joby GorillaPod with me, and I just ordered a spare quick release to put on the HV20. That's an excellent application.

You are right about the clip attachment and the cape. I assume they must have one that would work with that microphone...

Judy
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #24
Wrangler

I like the Adorama Monopod. It's the lightest and quickest to setup and take down that I've found. I use a small tilt-and-pan head on it, not for tilting and panning (that takes a proper fluid video head) but to lock it into whatever position I need.

As for the clip, I suspect any would work, even a standard stationery bulldog clip.
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #25
New Boot

I was thinking that the rain cape might also be helpful in a dusty windy environment. Some of the time we may not have rain, but it may be dusty (desert conditions). What would you think about that?

So, just to summarize (I do appreciate your patience with me on this), the items to purchase would be the rain cape, the single point stereo microphone, and an extension cable. The veritable "fly in the ointment" is the connection between the cable and the microphone...making that less vulnerable to weather conditions.

Would you agree?

Judy
Old December 20th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #26
Wrangler

Quote:
I was thinking that the rain cape might also be helpful in a dusty windy environment. Some of the time we may not have rain, but it may be dusty (desert conditions). What would you think about that?
The EwaMarine cape is open at the bottom, though it can be snapped shut and folded up. It should offer good protection against dust, though I wouldn't depend on it in a sandstorm.

So, just to summarize (I do appreciate your patience with me on this), the items to purchase would be the rain cape, the single point stereo microphone, and an extension cable. The veritable "fly in the ointment" is the connection between the cable and the microphone...making that less vulnerable to weather conditions.

Would you agree?

Judy[/QUOTE]I agree -- you've got it. :)
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #27
Wrangler

Judy, as a follow-up on the Vivanco mike, you can hear it in this video (http://vimeo.com/453481). The Chinese music which covers the title was recorded with the Vivanco and a Panasonic MD recorder at a live performance in Lijiang under less-than-optimum conditions (noisy audience, poor acoustics in the hall, recording position located off to the side instead of centered, etc.). It will, however, give you an idea of what this little stereo lapel mike can do. The video is also shot with my HV20 (actually some of the first footage I shot with it).
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #28
New Boot

Wow, that is great! I wish it was available here in the States.

Hopefully the one I bought will do an ok job also.

I received the raincape today. It's nice and compact. I haven't had time to install it, but it looks sturdy but compact.

Judy
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #29
Wrangler

Quote:
Wow, that is great! I wish it was available here in the States.

Hopefully the one I bought will do an ok job also.

I received the raincape today. It's nice and compact. I haven't had time to install it, but it looks sturdy but compact.

Judy
Please let me know how it works out. It's probably my next purchase for the HV20.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders