Achieving this look with a Canon Hv20 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 24th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #1
New Boot

Achieving this look with a Canon Hv20 ?

So with an interest in shooting music videos.
I decided to jump into filming with no prior knowledge or experience.

I bought canon HV20 although wanting a dvx100 but the footage I've seen and the reviews os the canon kept my faith in the cam's potential.

Anyways all that aside I have questions to ask.

Would it be possible to achieve these looks with the HV20?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hstDuYDfC9Y

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JODhpmXZpxc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lsmWRBYigc0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jp-SXUJDLtA

videos were filmed with a Panasonic HVX-200 and a redrock m2
I have no clue to which lenses were used.

So besides the obvious need of proper lighting and a 35mm adapter [hmm a m2 or brevis???] could that be achieved with the Hv20?

watching Soloman's Rain video leads me to believe yes.

But then again I am a novice and rookie eyes would not be able to see what can and can not be done.

none the less I plan to make the most out of this cam, practice and learn with it.

hopefully I will upgrade from this to the canon XH-a1 or panasonic HVX200 ?

[actually I wish I could see some flat stills from hv20 and a xh-a1 so I could see the difference].

Need to invest in a good tripod but do not know the qualities to look for?
[not to mention when I upgrade cmas I'd like to be able to use the Tri for the new cam too.]

Also have to decide on an 35mm adapter [brevis,letus,m2,mini35,etc] and the lenses.

Besides the fact of learning and understanding how to use these pieces of equipment to help get the desired shot I'm looking to capture.

If anybody feels like leaving a response,tips,required readings,etc.
It would be very welcome.

Thanks & hello everyone!

Lol

Peace

[p.s. merry X-mas]
Ben Camden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #2
New Boot

feels all warm and fuzzy here!!!!

I shall drift elsewhere then ...
Old December 25th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Camden View Post
So with an interest in shooting music videos.
I decided to jump into filming with no prior knowledge or experience.

If anybody feels like leaving a response,tips,required readings,etc.
It would be very welcome.
Your best resource is searching this (and other) sections of DVInfo.
Old December 25th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

im not sure what exactly youre asking...all those videos had lots of different effects and techniques going on. most of those things you could easily do with the hv20, but probably not in camera...most would be in post. if you could articulate a specific part it would be easier to give an answer.
Adam Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Perry View Post
im not sure what exactly youre asking...all those videos had lots of different effects and techniques going on. most of those things you could easily do with the hv20, but probably not in camera...most would be in post. if you could articulate a specific part it would be easier to give an answer.
Oh;
I was simply asking if the quality of footage given the feature set & limitations of the hv20 could compare with the hvx200 [as filmed in those videos].

if the raw footage going into post was like comparing apples to apples and not apples to oranges?

Thank you much.
Merry X-mas.
Old December 25th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

ok. yes with a stock hv20 or hvx200 used properly you can get very good results in both cases. the hv20 takes a little more work to get there (see barry greens article on how to set exposure) but it is significantly cheaper. you will not be able to get great depth of field on the hv20 if you arent using an adapter, but thats true of the hvx as well. hope that helps!
Adam Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
ok. yes with a stock hv20 or hvx200 used properly you can get very good results in both cases. the hv20 takes a little more work to get there (see barry greens article on how to set exposure) but it is significantly cheaper. you will not be able to get great depth of field on the hv20 if you arent using an adapter, but thats true of the hvx as well. hope that helps!
Thank you.
I plan to get a 35mm adapter.
just reading right now.
I'm going to print barry's article to fyi.
thank you for the help.
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Link? Searched the HDV articles and the forums and couldn't find anything that screamed "HV20 exposure settings". My apologies if my search skills aren't up to par. :S

Thanks for the help.

EDIT : Nevermind, googled it ;). http://www.dvxuser.com/jason/hv20/
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #9
Wrangler

My recommendation would be to try to find people in your area that are shooting with similar packages to what you plan to assemble, and offering to help them out on their shoots. It's much easy to learn the broad strokes of how to shoot by observing and experiencing than doing it in a bubble (or via message board etc) Check the "neighborhood" thread here, scour your local Craigslist, get to know the locals and soak it all up like a sponge.

Bottom line is that buying the gear is the easy part; learning what to do with it to achieve the results you want can take a lifetime (but hopefully less)!

best of luck, have fun!
Old December 26th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I have had an HV20 and a Letus35a adapter to work with for about 8 months now. There is little doubt in my mind that you will be able to get the same results with this camera that you have seen in the videos you posted.

You do have different process to get there-- and dialing the HV20 in is a bit more of a game than just turning a switch or adjusting shutter, aperature, or gain values. But it is workable, and if you stick to a "script", you can achieve nearly the same control.

You also have to account for other issues associated with the cmos imager, and rolling shutter, but, these are all resolvable to, in employing shooting techiques that avoid them.

I would suggest using Letus Extreme or the Letus35mini for your 35mm adapter. Brevis, with its flip module is also a good choice.
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I have had an HV20 and a Letus35a adapter to work with for about 8 months now. There is little doubt in my mind that you will be able to get the same results with this camera that you have seen in the videos you posted.

You do have different process to get there-- and dialing the HV20 in is a bit more of a game than just turning a switch or adjusting shutter, aperature, or gain values. But it is workable, and if you stick to a "script", you can achieve nearly the same control.

You also have to account for other issues associated with the cmos imager, and rolling shutter, but, these are all resolvable to, in employing shooting techiques that avoid them.

I would suggest using Letus Extreme or the Letus35mini for your 35mm adapter. Brevis, with its flip module is also a good choice.
thank you for the tips!

"script" ??? a la` "storyboard" ???

do you know where I can read about the: "issues associated with the cmos imager, and rolling shutter" ?? pertaining to this camera?

would I be correct that more light is loss when using a "flip module"? [brevis]

the m2 losses / needs more light than the other two 35mm adapters?

thanks again.
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Q: "script" ??? a la` "storyboard" ???

A: Poor choice of words.... script referring to following aa process or a procedure.

Q: "issues associated with the cmos imager, and rolling shutter"

Search this entire site/forum using "rolling shutter". Has been discussed many times regarding several of the cmos camera.

Q: would I be correct that more light is loss when using a "flip module"? [brevis]

A: Some, but the new Letus Extreme is supposed to have very little light loss. Not sure on the Brevis, as I have not seen any review or specs.

Q the m2 losses / needs more light than the other two 35mm adapters?

A: I am an early adopter of a DIY self built, using the Ground Glass provided by Redrock a few years back. Light loss was a bit higher than the Letus35a I have now, and I have heard similar reviews that M2 seems to eat up more light than Brevis or Letus units.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders