New Canon Camcorder Line - Dual Flash Recording?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 5th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Dual media recording to both internal flash memory and a removeable SD card is brilliant and long overdue, .........
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but why BOTH internal flash and SDHC cards? I can see why solid state, and SDHC seems a good choice, but why then have internal memory as well?

I hear what you say about immediate file sharing - but couldn't that be as well achieved with card to card copying? Use the cost/space of the internal flash drive to provide extra slots/extra cards - 4 SD slots shouldn't take up very much room.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

I could see multiple card slots on pro gear... such as currently found on some D-SLR's which have both an SD and a CF card slot. On consumer gear I think internal flash plus one card slot makes sense. Here's another advantage: hot-swap cards while recording; the internal flash provides a recording buffer during the swap. Nothing wrong with the dual-slot or multiple slot concept, but I think they're doing internal flash "because they can."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez View Post
To really make these media card camcorders appealing- the manufacturers should allow for user selectable codecs or bit rates so that advanced users could specify codecs or bit rates they want while allowing the consumer market to default to AVCHD or whatever spec is available for "long time" recording.
HDV was really good as it quickly became editable across platform with relatively good performance- but since it's a "Tape" based spec there were no camcorders that could record to that spec other than tape based cameras.

Give us "Selectable Codec/Bit rates" and everyone will be pleased!!!!!

Can't wait to see what Canon brings to the table with these new camcorders!!!
I will defiantly be getting one of them, and since there are three, good chance Canon might have made some of the AVCHD bit rates higher than the HG10. I image thought he image processor will be the same as the HV20/HG10, and will likely have 24p as well. But really I just wanted something more compact than the HG10, and was leery of the Sanyo HD1000, so I figured wait to CES, and Canon delivered (hopefully anyway because they look awesome!).

Does Canon do their announcement today or tomorrow?
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Tomorrow morning (that is, Monday 7 Jan., the first day of CES).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #20
Trustee

Steve, I too wanted something very compact and read good things about the HG10- but ended up getting an XactiHD1000- which is allot better than its given credit for....at least it's not AVCHD and you CAN edit on a pc or Mac....here's a quick raw clip showing it's indoor performance which I think isn't too bad at all-
http://www.stevenunez.com/hosted/bikerear.mov

But I WILL be getting one of these new Canon's if they perform as good or better than the HG10!
Let's not forget- Panasonic Unveils Two New High Definition Camcorders: HDC-SD9 and HDC-HS9 at CES as well- might be an interesting battle between Canon and Panny!
Old January 6th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #21
Major Player

I am very impressed with the Panasonics as well...they added 24p...should be very interesting to chose between the two...can't wait for Canon to reveal the full specs on their new line.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez View Post
Steve, I too wanted something very compact and read good things about the HG10- but ended up getting an XactiHD1000- which is allot better than its given credit for....at least it's not AVCHD and you CAN edit on a pc or Mac....here's a quick raw clip showing it's indoor performance which I think isn't too bad at all-
http://www.stevenunez.com/hosted/bikerear.mov

But I WILL be getting one of these new Canon's if they perform as good or better than the HG10!
Let's not forget- Panasonic Unveils Two New High Definition Camcorders: HDC-SD9 and HDC-HS9 at CES as well- might be an interesting battle between Canon and Panny!
Steve, was wondering if you had used a Canon HV20 and if so how it compares to the HD1000? I had a HV20 that broke, so I go a new one that I have yet to open. The idea of going tape less really interests me, but not to fond of AVCHD. Also I do a lot of in car taping and the HV20 has not worked for me. So might change over to a different camera.

Also I assume that these new Canons are AVCHD?
Old January 6th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #23
Trustee

Duane, as far as I'm aware all these small consumer HD cams are indeed AVCHD (unfortunately.) The Xacti is unique in that it doesn't use that codec but one very similar called AVC/x.264 which is a type of mpeg-4 which many NLE's can edit no problem.

I haven't used a HV20 myself but have had a HV10, XH-A1 and various other Canon cams and the Xacti will not deliver the image quality of those cameras. Those cameras all record to tape in the HDV spec which is far superior to any of the non-tape codecs being used today (with the exception of Pan HVX proHD codec and Sony's new EX camera.) The Xacti excels as a quick point & shoot consumer HD camera but wont produce stellar broadcast quality footage- it does produce nice footage under the right circumstances, but even the HG10 is superior. Having said that- I'm actually found of it and wish for a few improvements and enjoy using it as is.

I am however going to keep a keen eye on these new Canon and Panny cams and see what reviewers have to say- I'm always in the market for something new to add to my collection.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders