HV20 + lenses & optics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 11th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #1
New Boot

HV20 + lenses & optics

I was just curious on the HV20 if someone were to take it apart (not that I will mine) and fabricate a box to put the guts into, could it be possible to add lenses so one wouldn't have to flip the image in post? I was looking at the threads here on DVInfo and wondered how the XL1 and the higher end HD Sony cams are able to interchange lenses and get a correctly oriented image. Is this done with the optics, or is the flip done electronically. I tried to search, but wasn't sure exactly how to search.

Thank you.

Last edited by Pat Norris; January 11th, 2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: clarification
Pat Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #2
New Boot

I'm pretty sure it is done electronically. Whether the lens is fixed or interchangeable, the image is upside-down in the camera.
Tony Markle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The XL1 and other HD cameras with interchangeable lenses are just like all video camera. The image reaches the imager upside down, and the digital image is laid out on the tape with image righted.

With 35mm adapters, one flips the image before it gets to the primary imager. So in affect there is a double flip of the image by the time it gets to the imager.
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Major Player

Upside down is basic optics of lenses. Still cameras record the image upside down - film and digital. View cameras show the image upside down and backwards on the ground glass.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #5
New Boot

Thank for clearing that up. Too bad there is no option to right the image to tape for use with extra optics.
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The flip is easy if you use Cineform.... Sometimes I put the camera on a mono pod and hang the camera upside down and get some nice shots that way.... you can get real close to the ground that way.... of course it gets
recorded upside down .... just let Cineform flip it during post....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #7
New Boot

I use Vegas and can flip the image, but if I add lenses to the HV20, I was just thinking of the preview monitor. If any panning is done, it would be reversed which might get confusing. Thanks to all for the replies.

Patrick
Old January 13th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Norris View Post
I was just thinking of the preview monitor.
most external lcd preview monitors can be mounted upside down quite easily.
Deke Kincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #9
New Boot

How awkward is panning on a preview monitor if the image is reversed?
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #10
Inner Circle

My economy solution, as with many, is to build a mount to mount camera upside down. Then I monitor using monitor input on a DVD player. It has a flip image setting, but shooting the camera upside down rights the image anyway.

This cheap monitor solution is okay, but focusing the 35mm adapter is a real challenge, and that is why many with 35mm adapters are going to higher definition monitoring.
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #11
New Boot

Thanks Chris.

I was also interested in the higher def monitoring. I was looking at a 19" Samsung with HDMI, or something up to 24" for easy portability to go with an adapter that I might add in the future. I remember seeing an article about George Lucas using large monitors for the latest Star Wars to view on. Since the cameras used had interchangable lenses it was no problem with screen orientation. With an adapter and camera mounted upside-down, there is still a reverse left to right if panning is done on the HV20. I have a projector that has the capability to flip horizontal and vertical, but I am not sure if many LCD or plasma screens have that capability. If the larger than 24" have flip options then I will have to save for a larger display.

patrick
Pat Norris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders