FCP project back to HV20 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM   #16
New Boot

Faster SD DVDs w/ DVD Recorder

Given that you can output HDV to the HV20, it would seem that you could bump out to tape through the HV20, then plug into a DVD Recorder set top box and record a DVD.

The DVD would be 720x480, 60i (with random interlaced frames) and not take advantage of widescreen tvs, but it would be a DVD good for faster review and not hoarding the computer with renders. Rip it apart with Mpeg Stream Clip 2 and you could add new menus to it in DVD SP (according to other posts...) without re-rendering the video & audio assets.

Anyone done this yet? Any pitfalls?
This seems pretty cool for bypassing all the Compressor renders and doing things real time (record, then playback). My thinking it is would be FASTER by a few hours of encoding.

Best, Anthony Torres
Anthony Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Torres View Post
Hey!
It works. Here's exact settings for HV20 and Final Cut Pro 6.0

On HV20 VTR mode:
Menu> Play/out setup 1
Playback STD A - (*this is important part*)

Connect to firewire cable.
Launch FCP 6.0
In Audio/Video Settings, Summary Tab,
Seq Pres: HDV 1080i60
Capt Pres : HDV
Device Control: HDV Firewire Basic
*IGNORE VIDEO PLAYBACK*

select A/V Devices Tab.
Playback output is set to none.
The "Different Output for Edit to Tape/Print to Video" box should be checked.
Video: HDV (1440x1080) 60i.

Click OK.
Set in/out points on edit.
FILE>Print to Video.

It'll start the deck, record, stop. Takes a little bit to
"Conforming HDV Video"
Actually a lot. One hour for 20 seconds of video, due to 4 seconds of a clip that has a speed adjustment of 200%.
20 seconds of cuts only HDV took 7 minutes (yes, it's a iMac G5 2ghz with 1.5 ram... Should be beefier.)

Are we going through recompression/image degradation with this "Conforming business?"
Thanks for posting this. Going over my settings again I saw that I had sequence set to 25p not 50i. When I changed that AND restarted FCP it worked with my H1. I donīt have my HV20 here now, but Iīm pretty sure it will be the same.
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
One hour for 20 seconds of video, due to 4 seconds of a clip that has a speed adjustment of 200%.

Are we going through recompression/image degradation with this "Conforming business?"
What format are you editing in? Are you doing native HDV editing? ProRes422 editing? AIC?
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:58 AM   #19
Major Player

Just a quick update, the settings worked with my HV20 as well.
This makes life much easier for me, as I cut on a FCP, but my colleague use Premiere and he has the real work station. I was worried about transferring clips from FCP to Premiere, but now I can do some editing at home, print to tape and bring the tape over to his machine and capture there.
PS Will I lose any quality in this process?
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:44 AM   #20
New Boot

Quote:
Somewhere in the manual it states that it can ONLY take in DV. No HDV.
It can do some crazy output and downconverts, but only records DV in the VTR mode.

Unless someone finds a way to hack this, you can't play an HDV timeline back to tape as HDV. Not with the HV20.

Best, Anthony
I use Avid Liquid 7 and I've done it many a time. The biggest problem I've found is when some of my media, for example stills, is on a USB drive and I forget to plug it in. Avid fails to export but doesn't tell you why!
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #21
New Boot

Settings

Yes, the settings are for editing native 60i HDV. The 24P is wrapped in 60i. You are NOT editing 24P. You are editing in a 60i timeline so you can record to tape (which is restricted to 60i). So there is NO reverse telecine going on. Which saves time and drive space for rough cuts.

Again, prior posts review the ups and downs of this approach. But you have to be native 60i HDV timeline to go back to Tape.

You ARE recompressing all the frames to get the HDV to record to tape. This takes some time, which is why folks advocate transcoding to ProRes or another codec. Alas, with those codecs you can't record to tape. Only native 60i HDV works.

So is this a generation down? Yes. If you were editing DV, your effects/transitions would render, but that's it. Alas, HDV from the HV20 is awesome, and you can do amazing things with Magic Bullet Looks and Conduit/Dv Matte Pro 3. In a sense, you should be running Magic Bullet looks. All the good looking stuff is more attributable to MB Looks. (without cc, a lot of action films look like junk. It's that color correction that gives it a pop. Magic Bullet Looks makes it easier for all of us.) 35mm adapters can wait, particularly when you could buy 2 HV20s for the price of one full kit (including 35mm lens). Shallow depth of field is great, but cc sells the shot.

Good luck, Anthony Torres
Anthony Torres is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders