Anyone have the HV30 yet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 28th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone have the HV30 yet?

Noticed BH has them. Put one in the cart but ended up going back to the HV20 with two bats for the same price. I know the HV30 has 30p but other than that I can't imagine how Canon make a better cam than the HV20.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Yeah I just saw that on B&H. I will order one tomorrow.
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Trustee

What will 30p do? Does that allow for 1080p?
Old February 29th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Buys View Post
Noticed BH has them. Put one in the cart but ended up going back to the HV20 with two bats for the same price. I know the HV30 has 30p but other than that I can't imagine how Canon make a better cam than the HV20.
I tried to buy an HV20 for my school today. The education supplier said they had some in this earlier this week and delivered them today, but they can't get any more. So an HV30 it is. The HV20s were going a bit cheaper like you said.

I've been told that the HV30s are going to be available in the next 2 weeks in the UK.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Mine should be here in 2 days! I can't wait.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:34 AM   #6
Major Player

True Progressive Scan Raises Vertical Resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
What will 30p do? Does that allow for 1080p?
According to a review elsewhere on the web, the HV20 tested at 625 lines H and 575 lines V in playback resolution when shot at 60i. But, when it was shot at 24p, even though all playback comes out at 60i, the vertical resolution rose to 600 lines. The reviewer for the HV30, did not test the resolution from the 30p mode, but you could speculate it would also be higher.

Another advantage with the HV20/HV30 is the increase in low-light performance with 24p and also, with the HV30, with 30p. To produce 50 IRE with the HV20, it took 9 lux in 60i, but only 5 lux in 24p.

Although the HV30 won't output a signal with 1080p, if the footage is shot using 30p, it would be more suitable for conversion to 1080p later.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:07 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The local camera store in town recently received their inventory and I was able to get my hands around a HV30. Personally I can not justify replacying my HV20 with the 30, but I am pleased to see the black finish. The camera does looks slightly more appealing cosmetically. I like how this will match up with my A1 gear.

The HV20 is currently a great deal especially if your looking for a playback deck. Eventually the inventory will be used up.

Chad
Chad Ream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:14 PM   #8
Major Player

The local CC has some Sony HDR-HC5 models for sale on a closeout at $504.
I was tempted to grab one to use as a playback VTR (or as a backup camera), but I will probably buy a Sony HDV Video Walkman VCR, instead.
I've had such good luck with my DV and Digital8 Video Walkmans, despite heavy use for several years and I prefer having solid, permanent playback and re-recording fixtures on my desk, rather than wrestling with a tiny camera and its power supply.
Old March 7th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I am expecting my HV30 tomorrow. Just ordered it today for 1000 euro's including four years of warranty and a Raynox HD6600 Wide angle lens. I am going to use it alongside my VX2100 + 16:9 lens. And i am replacing my old Panasonic NV GS 75, from which i blew the firewire port some weeks ago. :(

I am really looking forward as i have heard good things about the HV20 on this board. I just need this HV30 for travel and short assignments during daylight. The VX2100 will be my horsepower for bigger assignments and in low light environments.

Last edited by Chris van der Zaan; March 7th, 2008 at 06:10 PM.
Chris van der Zaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #10
Major Player

Chris, that sounds like a good combination of camcorders. I will be using a Sony HC9 along with my VX2100 and we should be able to cover all situations with these two types of cameras.
Old March 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald View Post
The local CC has some Sony HDR-HC5 models for sale on a closeout at $504.
I was tempted to grab one to use as a playback VTR (or as a backup camera), but I will probably buy a Sony HDV Video Walkman VCR, instead.
I've had such good luck with my DV and Digital8 Video Walkmans, despite heavy use for several years and I prefer having solid, permanent playback and re-recording fixtures on my desk, rather than wrestling with a tiny camera and its power supply.

I had the HC5. It was horrible. I bought it prior to my honeymoon, got back from my honeymoon and was severly disappointed in the video quality.
Tony Parenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Another advantage with the HV20/HV30 is the increase in low-light performance with 24p and also, with the HV30, with 30p. To produce 50 IRE with the HV20, it took 9 lux in 60i, but only 5 lux in 24p.
As I understand it, the increase in low light performance with 24p video from the HV20 is due to shutter speed (longer exposure times). You should see about the same low light performance with 30p as with 60i.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Chris, that sounds like a good combination of camcorders. I will be using a Sony HC9 along with my VX2100 and we should be able to cover all situations with these two types of cameras.

I am happy my thoughts are being shared.

I have received my H30. It looks very good. However i have noticed one problem already. The shoe plate, which was unmounted on the HV20 is mounted to the camera on the HV30. There is no way to remove it except to rip it off. This causes problems with my Rode Videomic. I can't get it mounted on the camera, because the shoe plate is in its way. I would have to either rip the shoe plate off (cut the rubber wire) or buy a shoe bracket/extender. (anyone knows good cheap ones?)

Picture to clarify: http://home.claranet.nl/users/mvdzaa...0/IMG_2201.JPG

So we had people complaining about the HV20 and the easily being lost shoe plate. I am complaining about the not being able to remove the shoe plate on the HV30. :( Certain accessories can't be mounted now. I think this is worse than losing a stupid plate. :)
Chris van der Zaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #14
Inner Circle

You could just cut off the little rubber thingy holding the plate to the camera. Then it would be just like the HV20 (and you could proceed to lose it).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #15
Regular Crew

It is possible, but i don't know what mr warranty would say about that. Maybe they would accuse me of dropping the camera whenever i send it in for some defect.

I forgot i had a http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...hoe_Mount.html
laying around. Currently looking for a http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...#goto_itemInfo
or http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...and_Sound.html to fix the problem.

The solution canon adopted is stupid. I don't understand why they just didn't used some 'snap-on' system.
Chris van der Zaan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders