HF10 First Look - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 13th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I'll upload the .MTS files when I get the camera back sometime tomorrow.
Chris, any luck in getting those .mts files uploaded. I'm particularly curious about Austin's shot of the skyline and construction equipment.

Thanks.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Aaron, I think we'll have a hard time gathering any significant pool of users who encounter this. It will be very rare for a typical user (including myself who shoots DV professionally), to run a clip that long for the kind of shooting you'd do with a cam like this.
Actually I think it's a good exercise and I'll try to do this test tonight. I'm not gonna upload those clips but I'll be able to tell you if the files are split or not. Somebody will want to use these little camcorders as unattended B-roll or C-roll, behind the altar at a wedding or wherever. It's worth finding out in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Chris, any luck in getting those .mts files uploaded. I'm particularly curious about Austin's shot of the skyline and construction equipment.
Okay I'm working on uploading that clip right now, but it's over 100MB and kinda slow going (I live in the country with wireless connectivity that barely qualifies as broadband).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Okay I'm working on uploading that clip right now, but it's over 100MB and kinda slow going (I live in the country with wireless connectivity that barely qualifies as broadband).
Chris, time to move? :)
Old March 14th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #34
Obstreperous Rex

Off topic: Ken, we live off the beaten path at the end of a quiet road, where no one can drive past the house. We have great neighbors. We have horses, cats, dogs, a hammock, a tractor, and a host of deer, hawks, owls and other enjoyable critters in the wildlife out here. Plus an affordable mortgage and only a 45 minute drive to a major airport. In short, I'm dug in!

Old March 14th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Off topic: Ken, we live off the beaten path at the end of a quiet road, where no one can drive past the house. We have great neighbors. We have horses, cats, dogs, a hammock, a tractor, and a host of deer, hawks, owls and other enjoyable critters in the wildlife out here. Plus an affordable mortgage and only a 45 minute drive to a major airport. In short, I'm dug in!
And you think that's all worth slow internet speeds? :) :) :)
Old March 14th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #36
Obstreperous Rex

Sure I think it is... when I'm outdoors away from the computer! ;-)

Okay, so I've successfully uploaded that file only to find that whatever I did to it (which was to move it from the HF10 to the computer using the Pixela software included with the camcorder) has changed the file from .MTS to .M2TS.

So, while I'm now uploading the .MTS which I grabbed directly off the SDHC card, I guess i need to know if .M2TS will work for everybody. I thought I could just re-name the extension but after some heavy traveling this week, my brain has turned to mush and I can't remember if that will work or not.

Old March 14th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #37
Trustee

edited by me

Last edited by Tom Roper; March 14th, 2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: correction...
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #38
Trustee

edited by me

Last edited by Tom Roper; March 14th, 2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: corrections
Old March 14th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #39
Trustee

Aw sheesh, never mind. mts and m2ts are the same thing. I'll put on glasses before posting again.
Old March 14th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #40
Major Player

Interesting that the name is Pixela instead of Guide Menu, Hmmmm? Chris, if you haven't already done so, please record a 17 min clip using highest quality and tell us what happens...
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Sure I think it is... when I'm outdoors away from the computer! ;-)

Okay, so I've successfully uploaded that file only to find that whatever I did to it (which was to move it from the HF10 to the computer using the Pixela software included with the camcorder) has changed the file from .MTS to .M2TS.

So, while I'm now uploading the .MTS which I grabbed directly off the SDHC card, I guess i need to know if .M2TS will work for everybody. I thought I could just re-name the extension but after some heavy traveling this week, my brain has turned to mush and I can't remember if that will work or not.
Thanks Chris. Yeah, I don't think there's any difference between the MTS and M2TS files. It should work. I'll look for it.
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Where's the new video?
Tony Parenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #43
Regular Crew

I had a chance to check out the Panny SD9 today at Best Buy. I was able to manually set the shutter speed and aperture independent of one another and the settings would stay locked. Is this possible to do on the HF10?
Paul Chiappini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #44
Trustee

Not sure about the HF10, but just to let you know the low light on the SD9 is absolutely abysmal.
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #45
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Parenti View Post
Where's the new video?
Austin (Texas) from Austin (Meyers): straight off the card at 106 megabytes in size.

http://dvinfo.net/media/canon/austin1.mts

I'll try to set up the 17 minute extended recording test tonight or first thing in the morning.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders