is hv30 [30fps] usable for NTSC/PAL conversion? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #1
New Boot

is hv30 [30fps] usable for NTSC/PAL conversion?

guys, is 30fps on hv30 of any use for NTSC -> PAL conversion? In my country, PAL Canon camcorders are terribly expensive - around US$1700 is being asked for PAL HV30... and I'm playing with idea of importing NTSC version from US. Of course, that will bring another bunch of problems...

I'm most interested in quality of video and audio after conversion from NTSC 30fps to PAL 25fps or from 24fps to PAL 25fps. Anyone with experience? Any real examples to download and check?

thnx!
Lubomir Zvolensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Have you tried here?
http://www.pixmania.com/
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #3
New Boot

hello George,

yes I've tried Pixmania - the price dropped approx. $300 since last time I checked, about four days ago. Instead of $1700 it's little bit below $1300 now.

Although you have to understand that pixmania is something different than real shops - in case of failure/problems, you have to send their goods back to France or wherever and that will take some considerable time to resolve, costs more, is more complicated etc. Nonetheless, if the price drops $400 in four days... I'll postpone my buy for three weeks or month and then I'll get it for free :)

okej, back to track : anybody with real-world experience with slowing-down 30fps to PAL compatible 25fps? What about audio [should be ok, one second is one second regardless of how many fps it has], what about action scenes, fast pans, zooms etc?
Lubomir Zvolensky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders