HV20 LCD underscan/actual picture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 4th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Wrangler

HV20 LCD underscan/actual picture

Went on vacation with the HV20 and a new wide angle adapter. Shot 8 hours of footage. Looked great on the LCD. Got home and started logging the tapes and was horrified to see that on the full screen display, the wide angle adapter is fully visible in every corner! ANd I mean A LOT! Maybe 10% of the screen in each corner.

Is the underscan on the LCD that big, or are there different "modes" for the LCD that might have shown me the full screen?

I guess my only option is to crop the entire picture down by 20% to hide the vignetting (although it looks way worse than standard vignetting).
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Is this the Canon WDH-43?

If it were that lens, I would think there might be some logic to get the slightly cheaper Canon WDH-46....and use a step up ring?
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You will not have the black corners with the WDH-43. I have it and it was the only one that didn't had the corners. All the smaller lenses will have it. I think there is a Raynox which will fit but I have not tried it after three wrong lenses. I stuck with the original manufacturer part :-)

Regards

Axel
Axel Scheffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #4
Wrangler

Nope, aftermarket adapter. Cokin I believe.
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dylan Use a 235 Widescreen aperature ?! :)

Did same thing with a rubber lens hood, and also done that with my FX1 with a 58 mm adapter.
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Sorry to hear about that - I know what you mean. I wouldn't blame the HV20 - it's a consumer camera that most will be using to display their videos on LCD TVs with corresponding overscans. Since this relates to most of us (aside from video posted to the net) it makes sense. So, if you're making it for Plasma/LCD TV, most have overscan too, so it might not be an issue. All depends.

I own the Canon WDH-43 and it's 'perfect' - no vignetting. I also own a cheaper, older Sony wide angle and it vignettes as poorly as Dylan's. The upside is, on a vacation, it'd be better to have a cheaper lens get damaged during use than the Canon WDH-43.
Christopher Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #7
Major Player

The XL1, XL2 and XHA1 all show overscan as well, so you occasionally see boom mics and whatnot when you get to the post phase. Just part of the deal, I guess.
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Ruffell View Post
I wouldn't blame the HV20 - it's a consumer camera that most will be using to display their videos on LCD TVs with corresponding overscans.
I don't blame the HV20... I blame the operator (err... me) for not checking it against a real monitor first... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Dylan Use a 235 Widescreen aperature ?! :)
Chris...

That's a really good idea, I'll give it a test, thanks!
Old April 6th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #9
Major Player

Apologies Dylan, not trying to blame you - I fell for the HV20's overscan antics (see where I'm placing the blame?) too with that Sony wideangle I have :)
Old April 7th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I've shot over 100 hours with my HV20 and I never ever noticed that everything wasn't wysiwyg. Now I know why it was a good idea to spend the extra bucks for my WDH-43. Thanks for this information. I wonder if the same holds true if you use the eyepiece viewer which no one ever uses, I guess?
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #11
Regular Crew

If my Sony HC1 is anything to go by then yes, the EP viewfinder shows a different (more complete) view.
Paul Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Ruffell View Post
Apologies Dylan, not trying to blame you - I fell for the HV20's overscan antics (see where I'm placing the blame?) too with that Sony wideangle I have :)
No worries. :)

Actually, I only get the vignetting with my .6 Cokin. I also have a cheapo .45 as well that doesn't vignette at all.

Come to think of it, to be fair to the Cokin adapter (great adapter, very sharp!) it only does so because I had to use a step-up ring for it as I purchased it for a previous camcorder. Next time I use it, I'm going to gaff tape it right to the body.
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Come to think of it, to be fair to the Cokin adapter (great adapter, very sharp!) it only does so because I had to use a step-up ring for it as I purchased it for a previous camcorder. Next time I use it, I'm going to gaff tape it right to the body.
It's the same with my Sony - and I'm using more than a single step-up ring! The tape should work - will work - I did that with this same lens to an older Canon ZR20 that I owned way back when - the ZR20 still works I should add!
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
No worries. :)

Actually, I only get the vignetting with my .6 Cokin. I also have a cheapo .45 as well that doesn't vignette at all.
I took a chance on one of those "el cheapo" .45's, Digital Concepts. Amazingly sharp and doesn't vignette but due to the overscan a small bit of the Cinetactics Matteblox showed.

I was able to crop that out in post, tho.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Nixon View Post
If my Sony HC1 is anything to go by then yes, the EP viewfinder shows a different (more complete) view.
As a fellow HC1 owner, I'll remember this post. As a potential HV30 owner, I'll subscribe to this thread. Some good information on here.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders