Editing 30p from the HV-30? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 10th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Footage is already progressive. why does any unit need to deinterlace?
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #17
Major Player

because SD DVD's are always interlaced.
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Courtney View Post
because SD DVD's are always interlaced.
I don't believe this statement is correct.

Sean see this link it may help you out.
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hdv_to_sd_dvd.html
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #19
Major Player

^^^the only thing that little tutorial demonstrates is how to encode progressive HD video to a standard def DVD. The DVD will still be authored as 480/60i, just as every other SD DVD has been done since the inception of the format. If it were possible to author a truly progressive SD DVD, it would not display on any interlaced CRT because, to my knowledge, no SD DVD player can interlace progressive video on the fly - progressive DVD players are designed to do just the opposite - de-interlace an interlaced DVD.

Ever make the mistake of trying to output progressive to an interlaced CRT lacking a de-interlacing chipset, LOL? That's exactly what would happen with a progressive SD DVD playing back over component vid hooked up to any interlaced CRT (lacking a de-interlacer ...sorry, lacking an active INTERLACER... - just about every single SD CRT television in existence).

The SD DVD format was created specifically for interfacing with interlaced televisions - because that's essentially all we had 10-15 years ago. Now, we all have progressive sets and that's why I say that the BDA really blew it when it failed to include native 1080/30P in the format.

Last edited by Aaron Courtney; April 10th, 2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Laronge View Post
Sean see this link it may help you out.
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hdv_to_sd_dvd.html
Thanks for the link!
Sean James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Aaron, why are there still things like interlaced HD formats, when, as you mentioned on another thread, most modern HD sets are progressive?
Sean James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #22
Major Player

IMO, because the people controlling the advancement of technology are too firmly rooted in the past, short-sighted, or just dumb, LOL. And it's not like the tech isn't there. Didn't NHK or some other Japanese broadcaster demonstrate 1080/60P broadcast television at 2007's CES? Also, Harris already has 1080/60P equipment available. And the video processing chipset manufacturers are already developing 1440P products, LOL.

Things are not going to stand still in this arena. Unfortunately, the ATSC committee prematurely IMO decided to stick with MPEG-2 instead of a more advanced codec like AVCHD/H.264/MPEG-4/VC-1 - pick your flavor - although, in their defense, I don't think any of those existed, what 10 years ago when the official ATSC spec was put to paper <--please verify the exact timeframe, I'm just best guessing here without looking it up.

So now you're trying to cram multiple Gb/s of data into a 19Mb/s broadcast television bandwidth allocation. Something's got to give, LOL, and it clearly IS.

Thought I would edit this to include a nifty little background read I just discovered that might shed some more insight on this topic. It's somewhat dated, but very, very relevant IMO. This guy certainly has quite the credentials so I have no reason to doubt him. So, a fourth reason would evidently be ulterior motives.

http://www.vxm.com/Progvsinter.html

Last edited by Aaron Courtney; April 11th, 2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #23
Major Player

Wow, I've got to bump this up after reading the info in that link a second time. The above-referenced is LOADED with very interesting tidbits of knowledge and experience that are very relevant to many discussions on this site. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READ!
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders