Canon HF10 Review - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 6th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #121
Regular Crew

thanks Chris

soo much to see and find here!
Petra Alsbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #122
Regular Crew

Oh dear,

Chris, I can't view the comparisons. :-(

My pc is crapping out due to not enough memory :-(

If I've been using a camera with 30 frames per second, 640x480, and it was more important for me to get a good frame rate, fast movement, etc, would the HF10 be a sufficient upgrade to satisfy a budding videographers ambitions?

And yes, I know, total amateur video, but that's what I have been able to use up to now ;-) or should I go for the HF11?
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #123
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Asso View Post
Hi guys,

just arrived hf100 and i suspect there is something wrong in the cmos or maybe a dead pixel...i don't know...pls look at this little clip below:

00004.MTS

tnks
ciao
If you mean that bluish spot showing against the flesh tone of your finger, it looks to me very much like a defect or bad speck on the sensor. Not just dead pixel.

The shape is too elongated.

I would return the camera with a video sample to show the problem. See if you can get a replacement. I don't see repair as a possibility although that may be what they do.

I think you have a defective camera.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #124
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra Alsbach View Post
Ok, does anyone have experience with the following brands of SDHC cards:

Adata
Apacer
Kingston
San Disk

and how would you rate them regarding reliability?

Also, been trying to find some data on recording times, the only info I've found so far states +2 hrs but not whether that's at the lowest or highest setting :-(
Any comments appreciated.

Thanks.
SanDisk is generally considered the most reliable. All brands can occasionally turn out a bad sample but SanDisk seems to be the media brand trusted by most pro's.

Kingston would be a good second choice, the other two I personally would not care to risk my video with. I've never heard of Apacer and have seen a few reports of media failure with Adata.

Another fair second choice at slightly lower price (at least in the US) might be PNY. I've picked up a few of those but reach for the SanDisk cards first on the important projects.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #125
Regular Crew

thanks bruce

now to find them!
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #126
Regular Crew

And I'm back

what difference would the class make: class 4 or 6, intending to use in a HF10.
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #127
Regular Crew

yes Bruce,
dead pixel or not my camera is surely defective...
i sent it last week to canon assistance...i hope to have the response within this week...

ciao!!

@ petra
no difference...class4 is already enough to cover a 17mbit bitrate (the max HF10 hits)...but if u buy the card on ebay, they are all almost class6 and they have more or less the same price of class4 (and equal capacity..)
Lorenzo Asso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #128
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Chris, I can't view the comparisons.
No worries, you probably don't need to see them as there's really not a lot of visible difference in them. I don't think they would be very useful for you.

Quote:
would the HF10 be a sufficient upgrade to satisfy a budding videographers ambitions?
Going from standard definition to HD is definitely a sufficient upgrade.

Quote:
...or should I go for the HF11?
Other than the amount of built-in memory and the higher bitrate recording mode, there isn't any substantial difference between them. It boils down to whether you want to spend a bit more for the HF11 or a bit less for the HF10.

Quote:
what difference would the class make: class 4 or 6...
No difference. Just make sure that the card is either a Class 4 or a Class 6.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #129
New Boot

Re: Canon HF10 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Immler View Post
I made some changes to my setup:

I added an Azden SGM-X shotgun mic. I picked that mic because it is one of the smallest shot gun mics and has the right connector (mini plug, no XLR). Also, the shock mount fits into the mini-shoe by filing off a tiny amount (about 1mm on each side) of the plastic holder. Since the shock mount has a rubber suspension, handling noise from touching/operating the camcorder is not an issue anymore as the rubber suspension absorbs these vibrations very effectively. I still use the AT Pro24 stereo mic when I need a stereo signal. Both mics give excellent audio.

I also added a Hoodman HD-300 16x9 LCD hood which is fantastic! Shooting in bright day light is finally not a problem anymore. I highly recommend the Hoodman.

A kept the Cokin Series A filter holder (poor man's matte box) and added a few filters. I think the size of the Cokin Series A is perfect for the cam, so I'll def keep it. I might add a second modular hood.

Overall, I am very happy with the setup.
I know it's been several years since this was posted, but can someone tell me which components are needed to construct the Conkin filter holder as seen here?

Evan
Evan Graham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders