reduce depth of field on Canon HV20 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 29th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ducon View Post
Even then Steve, Pieter is right. The fully open Iris on the HV20 is still shaped like a diamond - it only consists of four-blades. So Pieter, that's the best you'll get! And, it's not bad, really.
Like I said, the trick is to lock the aperture with the camera zoomed out fully. If you lock the aperture with the camera zoomed in at all, you can't get a fully open iris. This is straight out of my camera (it's the Num Lock light on my keyboard):
Attached Thumbnails
reduce depth of field on Canon HV20-img_0212.jpg  
Steve Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #17
Major Player

I stand corrected! Now that I think of it, I've gotten an image similar to that too, but the focus was so far out that it was just pretty colours (shot at night, street lights, etc).
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi Steve&Robert,
thanks voor 'zooming in' on my relatively OT statement there. Helps me a lot!
Pieter
(ps - and I learned a new word: bokeh ;)
Pieter Jongerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #19
New Boot

I too would love to be able to do DOF effects more naturally, but it costs so dang much. In a short movie I made (before buying my HV20) I did the green screen trick. I think it looks alright.

Here's a link, not to my movie but a short demo of some of the effects in my movie. You'll see one is a DOF effect using green screen. I don't think it looks half bad.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AXec4XjmtHE
Loney Childress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #20
Regular Crew

For anyone who gets hung up on depth of field, I urge you to see Orson Welles's Touch of Evil.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #21
Major Player

Zooming in does not produce shallower DOF if the subject takes up the same portion of the screen.
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Actually yes, technically this is indeed true. Zooming in will in fact produce a shallower depth of field. However this technique for decreasing depth of field is not all that useful because the subject size obviously changes as focal length changes. For a full explanation, see our definitive article "The Ultimate Depth-of-Field Skinny" by Jeff Donald, located at http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/optics/dofskinny.php -- hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #23
Major Player

You are both correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jouravlev View Post
Zooming in does not produce shallower DOF if the subject takes up the same portion of the screen.
Michael, you're saying that DoF does not change if the operator moves the camera so that the framing is the same, no matter the focal length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Zooming in will in fact produce a shallower depth of field...[but]...the subject size changes as focal length changes.
Chris, you're saying that the DoF will change if the operateor does not move the camera.

It's important to note the difference, because if a shot is framed the same way at wide angle and telephoto, the telephoto shot will yeild more diffuse background blur due to magnification, even though the DoF is the same.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #24
Tourist

DOF Test

I did a quick test on DOF for the HV 20. You can view it here:

http://www.vimeo.com/393169

Make sure to select Full Screen to see detail.

Hope it helps.

Brad
Brad Mirman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Hey, Brad, thanks for the DOF test on the HV20. The image is gorgeous.

I'm curious -- are you the same Brad Mirman who wrote Resurrection? One of the creepiest serial killer movies of all time.

rgb
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders