HF100 and PC - easiest capture? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 12th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HF100 and PC - easiest capture?

I have got a new HF100 with a 16 GB card that comes with Pinnacle studio 11. How do I capture the footage? Easiest solution anyone?

I saw there is a DVD burner DW-100 what are the pros and cons of burning DVDs?

Kind regards Erik
Erik Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Trustee

Using the USB reader/adapter that comes with some of the SDHC cards you simply copy the .MTS files over to the /PINNACLE/Captured Video folder or a project subfolder under the Captured Video one.

When you have Pinnacle Studio in edit mode, set the "album" for files rather than scenes and browse to your project subfolder. The files should show up with thumbnails.

Remember: Pinnacle advises a quad core processor with a 2.66GHz clock speed or higher for 1920x1080 AVCHD editing. Mine is 2.4 GHz and just barely handles it, so until I can change processors I set the cam for 1440x1080 at 12Mbps (I also have the HF100)

A good fast dual core can also work with 1440x1080. Pinnacle Studio is one of the easiest solutions for editing AVCHD because it handles it natively with no need to transcode to another codec.

Good luck.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
Using the USB reader/adapter that comes with some of the SDHC cards you simply copy the .MTS files over to the /PINNACLE/Captured Video folder or a project subfolder under the Captured Video one.

When you have Pinnacle Studio in edit mode, set the "album" for files rather than scenes and browse to your project subfolder. The files should show up with thumbnails.

Remember: Pinnacle advises a quad core processor with a 2.66GHz clock speed or higher for 1920x1080 AVCHD editing. Mine is 2.4 GHz and just barely handles it, so until I can change processors I set the cam for 1440x1080 at 12Mbps (I also have the HF100)

A good fast dual core can also work with 1440x1080. Pinnacle Studio is one of the easiest solutions for editing AVCHD because it handles it natively with no need to transcode to another codec.

Good luck.
Thanks Bruce!

My processor is not that fast either so I guess I have to set the camera at 12 Mbps until then. Have you noticed any artifacts on moving subjects when you only use half the HDV-bitrate?

Does the camera automatically change to 1440x1080 when you change to 12Mbps?

Is there a way of converting 17Mbps to 12Mbps afterwards?

/Erik
Erik Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Palm View Post
Does the camera automatically change to 1440x1080 when you change to 12Mbps?
Yes. On the HF100, I believe all the modes except the highest use 1440x1080.

Quote:
Is there a way of converting 17Mbps to 12Mbps afterwards?

/Erik
Not without re-encoding, in which case you might as well transcode to an intermediate format that is less CPU intensive for editing.
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Palm View Post
Thanks Bruce!

My processor is not that fast either so I guess I have to set the camera at 12 Mbps until then. Have you noticed any artifacts on moving subjects when you only use half the HDV-bitrate?

/Erik
Any difference in detail is pretty slight, I've not noticed anything significant. Nor have I noticed any artifacts on moving subjects. But one thing I am doing is shooting at 30p

All of my TVs are now LCD and therefore progressive, most everyone I know buying new TVs are buying LCD or Plasma and when I burn DVD's I check the "use progressive scan encoding" box in the "settings" on the make movie tab.

One other thing I've started doing is to make myself an AVCHD file. I do this by selecting AVCHD disk but in the settings I check "create file but do not burn".

I have no bluray player or PS3 but can watch the AVCHD file using the Pixela ImageMixer3 Player included on the disk with the camera.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders