HV30 DV-SD resolution problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 13th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HV30 DV-SD resolution problem

I recently compared the SD-Resolution of my old HV20 to my new HV30 (both PAL versions) After playing back the shots from tape via the camera and viewing them on a broadcast monitor, I found that the image resolution on both camcorders appeared to be totally different. The HV30 showed a massive stairstepping effect in SD 50i mode, in HDV 50i everything looked perfect on both camcorders.

I sent my HV30 to CanonConsumerImaging service in Willich/Germany. After some testing they proclaimed that nothing is wrong with my HV30. The picture quality of my HV30 in SD mode and the qualtiy of the whole HV30 series is totally equal, a Canon enginer declared - and equal to the qualtiy of their HV20.

After this remarkable statement I printed out a pdf of an ISO resolution chart and shot it with my HV20 in SD PAL 50i. I asked CCI service to do exactly the same with their HV20 an my HV30. Because my HV30 was alreday on the way back to me they shot the chart with their reference HV20 and HV30. Both showed exactly the same stairstepping I complained about!

But the look of the pictures taken with my HV20 tells a different story. The first picture shows a composition of two screenshot-sections from the SD 4:3 ISO chart testshooting. On the left you can see the jagged image of the reference HV30 taken by Canon, on the right you can see the image of my HV20. Note: images were taken in SD 4:3 (PAL 720x576). I moved a pen accross the ISO chart to prove that my HV20 was in 50i mode.

After I got my HV30 back I created another setup that might help to clarify the problem of the HV30 PAL-Version (shown on the second and third picture)

I matched the setup of both camcorders:
DV 4:3
TV mode 1/50
Customer Settings brightness, colour, contrast and sharpness all -1
White Balance sunlight preset
manual focus with Focus Assist

The combing on the second hand of the clock demonstrates that both pictures were generated at the same time in 50i.

Could this be a problem of the internal signal processing? Did they mix up the interlacing mode? With the shutter set to 1/25, the picture of the HV30 looks perfect again.

Another HV30 user opinion (or even test) is much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
HV30 DV-SD resolution problem-resolutionchart_hv30-hv20.jpg   HV30 DV-SD resolution problem-hv20.jpg  

HV30 DV-SD resolution problem-hv30.jpg  
Martin Steimann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Steimann View Post
I recently compared the SD-Resolution of my old HV20 to my new HV30 (both PAL versions) After playing back the shots from tape via the camera and viewing them on a broadcast monitor, I found that the image resolution on both camcorders appeared to be totally different. The HV30 showed a massive stairstepping effect in SD 50i mode, in HDV 50i everything looked perfect on both camcorders.
.../...
After this remarkable statement I printed out a pdf of an ISO resolution chart and shot it with my HV20 in SD PAL 50i. I asked CCI service to do exactly the same with their HV20 an my HV30. Because my HV30 was alreday on the way back to me they shot the chart with their reference HV20 and HV30. Both showed exactly the same stairstepping I complained about!
So, that means that only your HV20 has not the problem...

Stupid question: maybe your HV20 is set on 'HDV recording', with 'DV conversion on the ouput'?
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Donnet View Post
So, that means that only your HV20 has not the problem...

Stupid question: maybe your HV20 is set on 'HDV recording', with 'DV conversion on the ouput'?
Hi Bruno,

First question: Seems they want to make me believe it, yes! But that sounds totally stupid, doesn't it?

Second question: No! The HV20 was definitely in SD-recording mode. Shame!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 03:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Here we go ...

http://nl.canon.be/Support/Consumer_...7&page=1&type=

For Mac users: copy the download-link and change the .exe at the end to .dmg – otherwise you will only get the windows version.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:21 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Steimann View Post
Here we go ...

http://nl.canon.be/Support/Consumer_...7&page=1&type=

For Mac users: copy the download-link and change the .exe at the end to .dmg – otherwise you will only get the windows version.
Here's the Mac UK .dmg link directly:
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/dcp/firm.../hv30-1010.dmg

You will still need to download the firmware update procedure pdf. Here's the UK version
http://www.canon.co.uk/Images/hv30-f...m14-538489.pdf

and it's well worth while looking at Martin's original link or your local Canon website version for the complete article.

Thanks Martin for posting that.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Tourist

I am assuming this update is for PAL base HV-30's only??
Michael Day is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders