Canon XHA1, HG10, HF100 into final cut? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 26th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon XHA1, HG10, HF100 into final cut?

I have been using Vegas which works with all my files, but I have someone else cutting the next piece so I may need to convert my files all to something they can use. I am mainly shooting an XHA1 tape and firestore backup, and will have B roll cameras running which are likely the HG10, HF100, and possibly the HV20.

What do I need to convert the files so Final Cut can see and edit them? Everything is likely 24 frame unless we have to do a 60 frame shot for a slow motion effect. But I will have MT2, and MTS files which I hear is an issue.

I am PC based so if its something I can convert to and drop into a harddrive, or maybe blueray dvd's that may be easier.

Thanks.
Old May 26th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Canon Xha1,HG10 in final Cut....

Its not a problem. I use to use Vegas and switched to a Mac and I'm using Final cut. Just plug the camera into the computer go to Edit tab click on Log And Transfer pick the clips you need and download them into fuinal cut. Drop and drag and cut away. You don;t have to go through the steps that you do on a PC its much easier. I liked Vegas but Final Cut is incredible. You should switch over. I was a bit intimidated about switching b.c I have been PC based my whole life. God, I wish I switched years ago.
Tom Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #3
Major Player

I think I am missing something. I don't have any steps on vegas, I just open the files and they play. I hear that the MT2 and MTS from avchd don't play with final cut on a mac, do they open just that easy? I wont be importing from the camera, it will be from a harddrive since by that time it will all be dumped from the firstore harddrive or camera harddrive/sd cards. Also is the limit in final cut 1440x1080 rather than 1920x1080? if so shoudl I shoot the 1920x1080 cameras at the lower setting so it does not have an issue, or does not have to be downsized for use and does it upsample to 1920x1080 output or only 1440x1080?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders