Getting true 30p from HF100 or HF10 using FCP 6.0.3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 13th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Getting true 30p from HF100 or HF10 using FCP 6.0.3

Hi

I'm a new FCP user, and I would appreciate some help with the exact workflow to get my 30p footage from the 60i encoded HF100 files to true 30p using FCP.

1) Is the Sequence settings of Apple Pro Res 1920x1080 60i correct? When I use this, and drag the captured camera files in, it says my sequence doesn't match the footage...

2) Is there a noticeable difference betwe Pro Res and Pro Res HQ?

3) Should I edit in 60i, then do reverse telecine using compressor when I export, or is reverse telecine even nessecary with 30p footage?

4) What are the best setting to encode for HD playback through vimeo.com, should I do any sharpening/contrast changes from the default H264? If vimeo only supports 24fps, should I take the 30p and export it as 24p?

Thanks for your help
Ario Damghani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Also - Shooting 24p Cinemode

One more question - I was reading about how you can 'trick' the HV20 to stick to 1/48 when in 24p cinemode so there is less stuttering, is this trick applicable to the HF10/HF100 as well? My default 24p cinemode footage is really choppy, so I'm using 30p.
Ario Damghani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ario Damghani View Post
One more question - I was reading about how you can 'trick' the HV20 to stick to 1/48 when in 24p cinemode so there is less stuttering, is this trick applicable to the HF10/HF100 as well? My default 24p cinemode footage is really choppy, so I'm using 30p.

Ario, did you find answers...?
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:58 AM   #4
Tourist

1) Is the Sequence settings of Apple Pro Res 1920x1080 60i correct? When I use this, and drag the captured camera files in, it says my sequence doesn't match the footage...

Basically yes, just change field option to none in Sequence Settings.

2) Is there a noticeable difference betwe Pro Res and Pro Res HQ?

Not from AVCHD footage.

3) Should I edit in 60i, then do reverse telecine using compressor when I export, or is reverse telecine even nessecary with 30p footage?

60i set to no fields yes, no reverse telecine required as there are no repeating fields, each P frame is just split across 2 fields.
Jonathan Smiles is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders