HV30 vs HV20 vs HV10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 16th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #1
Tourist

HV30 vs HV20 vs HV10

My wife and daughter are heading to Europe for a few weeks. My daughter asked if we could get a camcorder. My wife likes the HV10 but we can't find one locally to check out. Most stores now only carry the HV10.

So... is the HV30 that much better than the HV10? If I were to get an HV10 does anyone have an online source that they trust? One with a decent return policy? I am NOT looking to return it right after the trip. What I am trying to find is one that will sort of allow a 1-2 day test drive. That is why I was looking locally first.

Thanks in Advance!
Vince (in St Louis, MO)
Vince Laurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Vince, the HV10 was discontinued long ago and has not been available to buy new for quite some time now. The HV20 is also discontinued, but it has gone away only fairly recently, so there's a chance you can find a dealer that has unsold inventory still in stock. Your best bet in terms of availability is the HV30. As with most camcorders, the current models are usually better and more fully featured than the previous models. The biggest difference between the HV30 / HV20 compared to the HV10 is obviously the form factor and ergonomics, but it's really not that much of an issue considering that the HV10 is no longer available. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #3
New Boot

Vince, I would say that an HV20 would do you best. It's far better than the 10 and, frankly, the 30 isn't quite worth the extra $200 or so if you're just using it as a travelcam. And I say this as a happy and proud HV30 user!

Last edited by Fernando Ramos; June 17th, 2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Wrong name
Fernando Ramos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders