Just got mine! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 14th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Just got mine!

Hi folks!

We just received our new baby HV30, and she is a darling!

No joke, this thing is tiny compared to our XL2. I feel like I need to handle it with kid gloves or something. (I've actually "handled" the cam a few times at the big box stores, but when it's your own...)

First few times out I shot a few minutes worth of footage of our pets in the backyard, using the 30f and 24f settings, and the Tv, Aperture, and Cine modes. Playing it back on a 22" lcd (720p) screen is stunning. (Just beginning to learn the cam, and trying out Barry Green's controlling the exposure on the HV20 tutorial, without a miniSD card! And the "search" button on DVinfo will be my new best friend :) Now on to trying to capture onto Premiere Pro...

I'm already thinking of all the wonderful goodies to go along with cam. Oh, accessories galore!

Just thought I'd share my joy,
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Congratulations. It's an impressive camcorder for the money.
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Congratulations on your HV30 purchase. If you haven't already, you may want to consider an extra battery for it. Time flies when you are having fun and the next thing you know, you only have one bar left on the battery indicator.

Have you considered a 35mm adapter for your HV30. It has been said that the Canon HV20/30 goes with 35mm adapters the same way that peanutbutter goes with jelly. Or if you prefer, the way peas go with carrots. :-)
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Robert,

Thanks! Your thread about your HV30 purchase really helped. Forgive me if I already asked this, but what is your current post workflow for the HV30? I haven't captured to my Premiere Pro yet; considering trying out Cineform's Aspect HD.

Steve--Already ordered a third party battery (high capacity BP-2L24H) and a compatible charger from a DVinfo member; should arrive in a couple of days.

I have been looking into 35mm adapters: from the high end Letus, Brevis, to some 35mm DIYers that some folks are building and selling at another forum. Many videos with 35mm adapters look really impressive! Depending on the budget (in which most camera decisions are based upon :) I'd rather buy a Brevis or Letus so I can use it on our XL2 (or future XHA1!) But I can't dismiss those inexpensive 35mm DIYs...

Also, I'm considering getting the Canon wide angle. Oooohhh, so many things to buy!

Best,
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Jeff, congrats on the purchase. HV30 is an amazing cam.

The two mode you are shooting is PF24 (24P) and PF30 (30P) but not 24F and 30F. These 2 modes are used by other higher end Canon like XH-A1 to mimic progressive output using interlace sensor. I believe HV30 has progressive sensor.

Now might be time to get an external mic, wide angle and some lights :)
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Taky,

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe by saying 24f and 30f I'm trying to subconsciously ingrain myself in a future ownership of an XHA1 :) But it's good to know that the HV30 will playback 24f and 30f if and when we start shooting with an A1.

We already own the AT897 (for the XL2) and it's been a good mic so far. We also own a wireless lav single transmitter/receiver (also an Audio Technica, forget the model; UT-101?), which has also been good. I understand that the HV30 doesn't have XLR inputs, that I'll need a mic with 3.5mm jacks, or a Beachtek equivalent. I'm actually considering a Rode Stereo Videomic, or a Beachtek equivalent. The Rode because it has the 3.5mm plug; the Beachtek so I can use our XLR AT mics.

As for lights go, we bought three (relatively inexpensive) soft-box type lights from ebay. They're flimsy and not really well made, but they've survived (and worked) so far.

I agree about the wide angle lens; looking into the Canon WD-H43. But I'm really impressed with a few DYIers 35mm adapters. Even considering saving up for a Brevis or Letus. Hmmm...
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I am also using a lens hood from XH-A1 mounted on WD-H43. It's cool

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=100952
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #8
Major Player

Yep, I like your setup with the XHA1 lens hood. Maybe I can "slip" my XL2's 3x wide angle's lens hood when we get the wide angle lens.

I'm also digging that camera bracket (looks like it has dual shoe apapters?). I think you mentioned that you bought that cam bracket at Samy's. Might take a trip out there when we head to San Diego on July 23rd.

Best,
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I checked recently and I don't see that bracket in their store anymore.
Old July 16th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #10
Major Player

That's too bad; will have to check out other cam brackets. I did like having multiple shoe adapters for the endless accessories :)

Best,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders