Blackmagic intensity on a macbook pro portable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #1
New Boot

Blackmagic intensity on a macbook pro portable

I couldn't find any info whether anyone had tried this, so I went ahead and installed an Intensity card into my Macbook pro for portable uncompressed capture. It seems to work well with an HV20.

I wrote up the details here:
http://panocamera.com/blog/?p=4
Steve Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #2
New Boot

Interesting. But it seems Southern Sportsman's using an AJA IOHD, a $3000 product which is also using compression. Here we're talking about a $300 product and a $45 adapter, and getting uncompressed raw footage, as well as being portable.
Steve Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Nicely done, Steve. Sounds a little easier to bring a MacBook Pro to set rather than a Mac Pro tower + Monitor, mouse, keyboard, APC unit, extension chords, big padlock & cable, etc etc... which i've done, lol.

I wonder when Blackmagic will make an external version/portable version of their Intensity product - it'd be as simple as making one product, and having a choice between a I/O card for a PCIe computer, or a I/O card for a modern laptop.
Christopher Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Wow thats a cool mod! I use my Macbook Pro's wireless so I wouldn't want to use that, is there any alternative?

Christopher, yes I would like to see a portable Blackmagic Intensity solution or wish that Cineform will release their portable product soon.
John Palaganas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:54 PM   #5
New Boot

It just occured to me that all of that space where the optical drive normally resides could easily fit the Blackmagic card internally. If you'd pay $3000 for a dedicated hdmi capture device, why wouldn't one be willing to pay $3000 for a specialized Macbook Pro that Blackmagic had customized with hdmi capture card, maxed out ram, upgraded hard drive, and maybe one of those $100 Macbook Air -type- external DVD burners. You could be doing raw 4:2:2 capturing on-set then edit in the hotel room later, with a laptop you might have carried anyways. Of course, this might make you extremely tired.

For those who might miss the aircard, Amazon sells this:
http://www.amazon.com/Macsense-AeroL.../dp/B000M801WC
usb dongle

Incidentally, I tried 3D tracking some footage with this shindig, but the HV20's interlace and rolling shutter make a mess of things.
Steve Chapman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders