Saving edited footage back as .mts - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 11th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Horton View Post
Tom,
Just for your info:
The trail version would not process AVCHD info, well not totally true, it would process the audio but not the video.
I had to purchase the full version for it to work properly.
FYI
I guess I am not entirely surprised that Nero forces you to buy the real software in order to get full AVCHD support, since the mpeg4/h.264 licensing fee is levied on them with any functioning h.264 program they distribute, trial or actual. As you will soon find out, you are getting your money's worth with this 11 program product. Their ShowTime player does full BluRay, AVCHD, and HD DVD playback, including raw .mts, .evo, and other special formats. Their audio editing program SoundWave Editor has great Digital Dolby support and closely resembles Sony's $299 Sound Forge. Their Nero Burning software is the best in the industry for burning disks IMHO, and their Nero Vision program is a true gem, as I have already stated. There are another 7 programs in the package which do all sorts of other useful things. At $60 bucks or so this is an extraordinary package, and little appreciated for AVCHD and BluRay. Their customer support is really bad, however, as it is, unfortunately, for many of the other video editing programs, both expensive and cheap.

Please report back on your progress Brett.....

Larry
Larry Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Larry;
This is the reply I got from Nero when I asked if Nero8 was able to work with Vista 64 bit edition.

Dear Mr. "Tom O'Farrell",
Thank you for your e-mail and your interest in our software.
Nero 8 is compatible with Vista 64.
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards
Nelson
Nero Inc Support Team

However Sony "Picture Motion Browser" (congrats to the commitee that named this program) is not compatible with 64 bit. The SR11/SR12 operating guide states this, (page 26 at bottom right) so I must find a way of getting the SR12 HDD content into either a folder in the computer as files that Nero can open and work with, or preferably directly into Nero itself. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me did I not read you telling us that we can by-pass the Sony software and indeed can use Nero to import directly? If so then all is solved for me, I think (being an optimist). Does Nero also have camera control ?

Tom O'Farrell.
Old September 12th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #18
Major Player

Nero Vision does provide capture / ingest from camcorders as well as capture control and also scene detection, but this is not likely to be universally compatible with all camcorders based on my experience with many of the programs and camcorders I have used and tried. I have never personally used Nero's capture features, so I am not really sure whether it even works at all with my own camcorder, the Canon HF100, or with your Sony.

2 immediate thoughts Tom:

Use the SR12 memory stick option and a reader to avoid the Sony software incompatibility

Or

Try Nero trial to see if it can capture from the SR12

Either approach may help solve the problem.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Horwitz; September 12th, 2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old September 12th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #19
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom O'Farrell View Post
Larry;
However Sony "Picture Motion Browser" (congrats to the commitee that named this program) is not compatible with 64 bit. The SR11/SR12 operating guide states this, (page 26 at bottom right) so I must find a way of getting the SR12 HDD content into either a folder in the computer as files that Nero can open and work with, or preferably directly into Nero itself.
I'm running the 64 bit Vista and PMB works fine for me. I've read about many others that have successfully run PMB on Vista 64. Yes, Sony doesn't support it, but it does work.
Phil Seastrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #20
Regular Crew

What kind of computers are you guys using with Nero Vision? I don't think it has smart proxy (like videostudio), so I'm not sure if my AMD dual core 5400+ can work with it. As was mentioned, the trial version does not allow you to edit AVCHD, or else I would test it. I am finding stutters during cuts (even without transitions) in my videostudio projects that hopefully won't exist in Nero. Thanks.
Peter Holzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Seastrand View Post
I'm running the 64 bit Vista and PMB works fine for me. I've read about many others that have successfully run PMB on Vista 64. Yes, Sony doesn't support it, but it does work.
Me too, haven't had any problems with it except one which I just found a fix for, and it's not tied to Vista 64. While browsing around the Sony site looking for this fix, I noticed some support postings about Vista 64 installer updates for PMB.

I came to these forums to leave this tip behind somewhere. PMB 3.3.x.x has two playback modes - performance priority and function priority. When you upgrade, it apparently switches from the former to the latter automatically. I had some CX12 AVCHD files that I couldn't play through PMB once they were edited with Corel Pro X2 software. Sometimes I was just chopping a few minutes out of the video. Some of these would play if I switched from "video playback mode" to "slide playback mode".

The symptom was that I'd click to play the video, it would bring up the playback screen, and just hang there as if it was trying to pull in the file.

I found this stray reference to a PMB Performance Switcher. I just downloaded it and switched to performance mode, and all the videos (edited or not) now seem to play fine.

Here's the link:

PMB Performance Switcher | PMB(Picture Motion Browser) Support
Tom Gull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #22
Tourist

Larry,
Thanks for the information. Nero Vision can do exactly what I’ve been looking for: to split and save .mts files (produced by Canon HG10) without recompression – or with minimum recompression.
But what do you think are the ideal settings to maintain the results the CLOSEST AS POSSIBLE of the original files?
Usually I use the standard settings (on “video options”, before writing the files):
Video mode: NTSC
Nero SmartEncoding: Automatic
Video format (MPEG-4) / encoder / quality setting: Normal
Quality setting: Automatic (fit to disc)
Sample format: Automatic
Encoding mode: Fast Encoding (1-Pass)
It’s a strange thing to me, but changing the settings to "high" produces smaller files with lower bit rates. It should not happen the other way around - produce larger files with higher bit rates?
I tried saving a small file with all possible options and the results were these (audio always on “automatic”, no editing except cutting):
1) Normal settings [as above]: File size: 47.1 MB, Overall bit rate: 15.4 Mbps
2) Encoder on “highest”: File size: 46.2 MB, Overall bit rate: 15.2 Mbps
3) Encoder and quality settings on “high” / “highest”: File size: 41.6 MiB, Overall bit rate: 13.6 Mbps
4) Encoder and quality settings on “high” / “highest”, mode 2-pass: File size: 41.6 MiB, Overall bit rate: 13.6 Mbps

Thanks.
Silvio Fernandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #23
Major Player

Silvio,

When Nero Vision is used with its default settings, the output file is not recompressed, and the file retains the original quality completely. The output file is written as a copy of the original clips with the same GOPs, the same bit rates for video and audio, etc. There is no better setting.

This exact copy will only occur if the original clips are being trimmed in length, are being used with no trimming, and / or are being spliced together.

Once any other changes take place, then recompression is required, since new frames have to be created. Therefore, any change such as adding titles, transitions, filters, color changes, etc. will cause recompression and lower the quality, sometimes in a noticeable way. The recompression process will also add a lot of additional processing time.

If no recompression is required, the output file is written almost as fast as a pure file copy. For a recompressed video, the time (on my system) increases by a factor of roughly 9X.

There is no confusion as to whether recompression is taking place or not, since the speed difference is very obvious.

I hope I have answered your question, Silvio.

Larry

By the way, my daughter lived and worked for nearly 3 years in Rio de Janiero, and has brought back many wonderful stories and photos of your beautiful country and fine people.
Old March 19th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #24
Tourist

Yes, it was exactly what I wanted to know. Now I’m really enjoying Nero Vision, although sometimes it doesn’t work when dealing with large files and/or various cuts. In these cases, it’s possible to save the changes in more than one step, so it’s not a big problem. And, to simply join the files, MTS_FileJoiner still seems unbeatable.

Obrigado!

Silvio
Silvio Fernandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #25
Major Player

I have not had the large file problem you describe Silvio.

Nero Vision does smart rendering especially quickly and well. If you do decide you want to add titles, do clor correction, and make any other changes qhich require re-rendering, the output .mts file will also still play properly in the Canon HF100. Therefore, a person could carry the HF100 with edited footage to another location and use the HF100 as a full 1080p HD playback device for the fully edited program.

I have not found any other program so far which the Canon camcorder will accept and playback this way.

Larry
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Horwitz View Post
I have not had the large file problem you describe Silvio.

Nero Vision does smart rendering especially quickly and well. If you do decide you want to add titles, do clor correction, and make any other changes qhich require re-rendering, the output .mts file will also still play properly in the Canon HF100. Therefore, a person could carry the HF100 with edited footage to another location and use the HF100 as a full 1080p HD playback device for the fully edited program.

I have not found any other program so far which the Canon camcorder will accept and playback this way.

Larry
Hi Larry. I want to import multiple clips from my HF100 into Nero Vision, trim them and rearrange them on the timeline (no titles or color changes or transitions are necessary), then create a single MTS file (not multiple MTS files), which I can put back onto my HF100 to play. From what you say, it sounds like I can do this with no quality loss, but I can't figure out how to accomplish the editing step. Post #2989 from this link The "Official" Canon Vixia HF10 / HF100 Owner's Thread - Page 100 - AVS Forum describes one method, but it seems very unusual and painful.

The method I follow produces multiple MTS files, but I want a single movie composed of multiple clips/scenes. Here is what I do:
1) Choose burn AVCHD in Nero.
2) Add files from flash card.
3) Right Click and select edit and trim each file in the editor.
4) Rearrange clips in the order I want.
5) Burn an AVCHD "disk" to my desktop. (This results in multiple MTS files, which I don't want).
6) Replace the AVCHD folder on my Canon flash card with the one created by Nero.

Do you have a different method? Can you describe your workflow step by step? Thanks, as always, for your help.
Peter Holzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #27
Major Player

Larry. Is there any way to divide the scenes from captured tape footage in Nero. When I download the tape footage from an FX7, Nero loads it all into one file. That makes it a bear to edit each scene (trimming, etc.). Pinnacle, for instance, will automatically break the tape into seperate files for each scene, making editing much simpler.

I like the final picture produced by Nero, but as I have stated before, it is not as user friendly as Pinnacle, nor does it have the variety of features. In fact, its Title selection is corny, as is the fact that with most titles, you cannot adjust where they appear on the screen. I am sure there is much yet that I have not learned about the program, but so far I am hoping for a better, user friendly program in the near future, which combines the picture quality of Nero and the ease of use of Pinnacle.

Just airing my frustration.

Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Holzel View Post
Hi Larry. I want to import multiple clips from my HF100 into Nero Vision, trim them and rearrange them on the timeline (no titles or color changes or transitions are necessary), then create a single MTS file (not multiple MTS files), which I can put back onto my HF100 to play. From what you say, it sounds like I can do this with no quality loss, but I can't figure out how to accomplish the editing step. Post #2989 from this link The "Official" Canon Vixia HF10 / HF100 Owner's Thread - Page 100 - AVS Forum describes one method, but it seems very unusual and painful.

The method I follow produces multiple MTS files, but I want a single movie composed of multiple clips/scenes. Here is what I do:
1) Choose burn AVCHD in Nero.
2) Add files from flash card.
3) Right Click and select edit and trim each file in the editor.
4) Rearrange clips in the order I want.
5) Burn an AVCHD "disk" to my desktop. (This results in multiple MTS files, which I don't want).
6) Replace the AVCHD folder on my Canon flash card with the one created by Nero.

Do you have a different method? Can you describe your workflow step by step? Thanks, as always, for your help.

Peter,
Between your steps 4 and 5 use the Merge button (which I have circled with a pink ellipse in the attached screen shot) to merge the clips into one contiguous file. The output STREAM folder will then only contain a single, merged file as you desire. I have not used / tried this method personally but it does create a single, merged, non-re-rendered .mts output file which should work as you request.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Saving edited footage back as .mts-peter.jpg  

Last edited by Larry Horwitz; March 20th, 2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Burgess View Post
Larry. Is there any way to divide the scenes from captured tape footage in Nero. When I download the tape footage from an FX7, Nero loads it all into one file. That makes it a bear to edit each scene (trimming, etc.). Pinnacle, for instance, will automatically break the tape into seperate files for each scene, making editing much simpler.

I like the final picture produced by Nero, but as I have stated before, it is not as user friendly as Pinnacle, nor does it have the variety of features. In fact, its Title selection is corny, as is the fact that with most titles, you cannot adjust where they appear on the screen. I am sure there is much yet that I have not learned about the program, but so far I am hoping for a better, user friendly program in the near future, which combines the picture quality of Nero and the ease of use of Pinnacle.

Just airing my frustration.

Mike

Mike,

I have never used Nero Vision for my earlier HDV editing, but if I were trying to solve the problem you are stating I would:

Use an HDV capture program like HDVSplit (freeware) to capture the HDV content with scene detection enabled. This way each scene change would create a separate clip.

Then, import each clip into Nero and do what you want.

This should overcome the lack of auto scene detection in Nero.

Incidentally, I am not advocating Nero Vision as the ultimate editor, a particularly good HDV editor, or even suggesting it is particularly good for general purpose work. Much to the contrary, I specifically recommnded it in this thread because it can make completely edited files which are then exportable back to the HF100 which the HF100 seems to play absolutely the same as if they had been recorded originally.

This 'export back to the camcorder as an .mts file' feature is sadly missing in all of the other NLEs I use (including Vegas, Final Cut, Pinnacle, etc.), and was specifically requested in the original poster's question. Nero is the only way I am aware of for doing this.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Horwitz; March 20th, 2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old March 20th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Horwitz View Post
Mike,

I have never used Nero Vision for my earlier HDV editing, but if I were trying to solve the problem you are stating I would:

Use an HDV capture program like HDVSplit (freeware) to capture the HDV content with scene detection enabled. This way each scene change would create a separate clip.

Then, import each clip into Nero and do what you want.

This should overcome the lack of auto scene detection in Nero.

Incidentally, I am not advocating Nero Vision as the ultimate editor, a particularly good HDV editor, or even suggesting it is particularly good for general purpose work. Much to the contrary, I specifically recommnded it in this thread because it can make completely edited files which are then exportable back to the HF100 which the HF100 seems to play absolutely the same as if they had been recorded originally.

This 'export back to the camcorder as an .mts file' feature is sadly missing in all of the other NLEs I use (including Vegas, Final Cut, Pinnacle, etc.), and was specifically requested in the original poster's question. Nero is the only way I am aware of for doing this.

Larry
Thanks Larry. I will look into HDVSplit.

Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders