Cannot Capture into FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 17th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Cannot Capture into FCP

I know this has been discussed much, but I don't understand why I USED to be able to capture from the HV30, and now for some reason i can't. On three different it doesn't work, with iMovie, Final Cut Pro, and Capture Magic. Does anyone have any suggestions? My A1 is not working at the moment and this is the reason i bought this damn HV30. Do i need to send it in?
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Try to reset the camera, there's a reset button behind the battery.

However, yeah, I have seen many, many, threads with people not being able to capture on FCP, and others can, and others who could but then they couldn't. It seems like a bug on the Mac side, if I was to speculate.
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #3
Major Player

yeah i know i already reset it=[ Damn, ill have to run more tests!
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Easy Setup

When I first started using the HV30 with FCP (FCS-2), it drove me nuts trying to get the two to communicate with each other. Of course, having a jillion choices under Easy Setup didn't help. Anyway, here's what works for me:

Camcorder is in HDV mode, set the Easy Setup in FCP to: HDV - 1080i60 FireWire Basic.

Camcorder set to output DV mode, set Easy Setup to: DV-NTSC Firewire Basic.

Also, check the HV30 menu to make sure it's set for the correct output.
Old September 30th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #5
Major Player

what do you mean set for the right output? sorry to be kinda stupid, but can u explain a lil more about that, i look through the menu's on the HV30 and i dont see much to change the output besides the playback STD. which is blacked out when connected to final cut, weird.
Old October 4th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Major Player

Loren

Playback STD is 'blacked out' anytime a cable is in the HV30's HDV/DV terminal. Page 42 of the manual: "The DV output cannot be changed while a DV cable is connected to the HDV/DV terminal." Remove the cable and Playback STD becomes active again.

So, first make sure you're in the correct record mode: In the REC/IN SETUP menu, choose the video standard: HDV, HDV(PF24), HDV(PF30), DV(WIDE) or DV(NORMAL)

Next, in the PLAY/OUT SETUP1 menu in the PLAYBACK STD window (when the HV30 doesn't have a firewire cable connected to it) there are three choices: AUTO, HDV and DV. If you've made both HDV and DV recordings on the same tape, the AUTO setting automatically switches playback from one format to the other. In the HDV or DV setting, only recordings made in the selected mode will play back.

In the PLAY/OUT SETUP2 menu check to ensure 'HDV/DV' is selected. If 'DV DV LOCKED' is selected, everything recorded in HDV will be output as DV.

Finally, as I mentioned in the earlier post, use the FCP Easy Setup to match the HV30's output. If you set 'HDV' in the REC/IN SETUP menu, and 'Auto' and 'HDV/DV' in the PLAY/OUT SETUP1 and 2 menus, then the FCP Easy Setup would be 'HDV-1080i60' Firewire Basic'

A couple other reasons why the HV30 or any digital camcorder won't communicate with a video editing program: The camcorder is in the Record mode rather than the Play mode, or, could be a bad firewire cable.
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Major Player

Excellent instructions, Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tomkowiak View Post
Loren

Playback STD is 'blacked out' anytime a cable is in the HV30's HDV/DV terminal. Page 42 of the manual: "The DV output cannot be changed while a DV cable is connected to the HDV/DV terminal." Remove the cable and Playback STD becomes active again.

So, first make sure you're in the correct record mode: In the REC/IN SETUP menu, choose the video standard: HDV, HDV(PF24), HDV(PF30), DV(WIDE) or DV(NORMAL)

Next, in the PLAY/OUT SETUP1 menu in the PLAYBACK STD window (when the HV30 doesn't have a firewire cable connected to it) there are three choices: AUTO, HDV and DV. If you've made both HDV and DV recordings on the same tape, the AUTO setting automatically switches playback from one format to the other. In the HDV or DV setting, only recordings made in the selected mode will play back.

In the PLAY/OUT SETUP2 menu check to ensure 'HDV/DV' is selected. If 'DV DV LOCKED' is selected, everything recorded in HDV will be output as DV.

Finally, as I mentioned in the earlier post, use the FCP Easy Setup to match the HV30's output. If you set 'HDV' in the REC/IN SETUP menu, and 'Auto' and 'HDV/DV' in the PLAY/OUT SETUP1 and 2 menus, then the FCP Easy Setup would be 'HDV-1080i60' Firewire Basic'

A couple other reasons why the HV30 or any digital camcorder won't communicate with a video editing program: The camcorder is in the Record mode rather than the Play mode, or, could be a bad firewire cable.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
When I go to the REC/IN menu I don't see an option to choose the video standard. Here is what I have:

DV REC MODE (currently set to "SP")

DV AUDIO (currently set to "12bit")

AV->DV (currently set to "off")

FILE NOS. (currenlty set to "-->")

There is nowhere to select HDV or HDV(PF24) or any of the other settings you mentioned.

I'm very curious about this because I've been able to capture from my HV30, but now that I'm trying to output back to tape I can't get it to work.
Old October 6th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Travis -- I'm at my day job right now, so I don't have the camera handy to check this out. But, if memory serves correctly, the camcorder selector wheel has to be in the Record position, not the Play position, for that menu to show up.
Old October 6th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hi Travis -- I'm at my day job right now, so I don't have the camera handy to check this out. But, if memory serves correctly, the camcorder selector wheel has to be in the Record position, not the Play position, for that menu to show up.
Okay, that makes more sense. I've been shooting in 24F on my HV30 and A1's, and have edited a project and I need to output back to tape. I can't seem to find a way to use the HV30 for this. Is it possible?
Old October 7th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
... the camcorder selector wheel has to be in the Record position, not the Play position, for that menu to show up.
Just to correct myself, I should have written that the selector should to be in the "Camera" position. There is no "Record" position.

Probably most everyone reading that knew what I meant, but it wasn't until several hours later I was looking at the HV30 and clearly printed on the back are the words CAMERA and PLAY, not RECORD and PLAY.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders