Jumpy OIS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Trustee

Jumpy OIS

I've recently seen a strange problem with the Image Stabilisation on an HV 30. Shortly after switching on (within the first 2 - 3 minutes) the camera will emit a loud click and the image jumps vertically. It may do this a few times before settling, and the jump is recorded on to tape or through FireWire. Not surprisingly, it doesn't do it if the OIS is switched off. This camera is quite new, with just a few hours of use.

Anyone else come across this or something similar?
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It may be a glitch with the camera but there have also been a considerable number of similar experiences reported here in the past and these have been attributed to radio-frequency transmission interference getting into the OIS circuitry and setting it off.

Nearby two-way radio comms and the newer data transmission systems to vehicle on-baord computers are one reported culprit and cellphone towers are another.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
It may be a glitch with the camera but there have also been a considerable number of similar experiences reported here in the past and these have been attributed to radio-frequency transmission interference getting into the OIS circuitry and setting it off.

Nearby two-way radio comms and the newer data transmission systems to vehicle on-baord computers are one reported culprit and cellphone towers are another.
Thanks for that info, Bob. I've looked through about half of the 40 or so pages of posts in this forum but so far found only 1 similar instance where the image seemed to jump like mine, and haven't come across any reference to the external causes yet. Just as well you told me. I must say it looks like a specific issue with this particular camera to me, as I have used other HV30s in the same location without seeing the vertical jump. And that clearly audible CLICK from inside the camera worries me.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The "click" is apparently the fluid prism servo being driven the full distance instantly instead of more slowly following a command from the camera.

My vague recollection is that it has been previously reported on Sony VX2000/PD150, Canon XM ( I think it is called something else in the US ) and a Panasonic of some kind. The Canon XM lens casework looks superficially similar to the Sony VX2000 so servo circuitry for OIS may be commonly sourced.

The happenings in your camera may be something else again if other similar cams are not doing it. Did you have any sort of added microphone or headphones plugged in at the time?

Last edited by Bob Hart; October 25th, 2008 at 10:17 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders