can't capture HD from HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #1
New Boot

can't capture HD from HV20

Why can't I capture a clip in HD from a marked in to out point? I'm using FCP 6.0, yet no matter what combination of capture settings I choose, the HV20's player haltingly jerks a few seconds on slow rewind, then stops dead when I try to capture a selected clip. I've only had success capturing HD on the fly (and using Apple Intermediate Codec).

Also, my DV OUTPUT display grays out whenever the fire wire is connected, though I appear to have normal shuttle control of the device. Shouldn't the HDV/DV readout stay lit? It reappears when I remove the fire wire.
David Koeppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Koeppel View Post
I've only had success capturing HD on the fly (and using Apple Intermediate Codec).
Double check that av to dv is set to off
Double check that dv output is set to HDV/DV
If not you'll have that exact behavior, since you'll be telling it to look for an HDV device, but it can't see one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Koeppel View Post
Also, my DV OUTPUT display grays out whenever the fire wire is connected, though I appear to have normal shuttle control of the device. Shouldn't the HDV/DV readout stay lit? It reappears when I remove the fire wire.
Are you talking about on the camera or fcp?
The camera is designed so that it won't let you change the dv settings while connected.
Samuel Hinterlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #3
New Boot

Ditto both. The DV OUTPUT still goes gray, followed by dashes whenever the fire wire is connected. It seems to be a moot point, though, because I'm now able to capture HD clips with the Firewire Basic selection, and everything looks normal. I'm just surprised no one else has alerted HV20 owners to this glitch, which is at total variance with what the instruction manual says.
David Koeppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Major Player

I've had this problem before.... and solved it by removing usb/firewire hardrives or other usb/firewire storage devices from the mac....

Last edited by Christopher Witz; November 8th, 2008 at 06:41 PM.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #5
New Boot

Interesting. I wondered what was at the root of this. In any case, I know it's not an issue; the fire wire connection is just fine and clip playback confirms that capture has been proceeding normally.
David Koeppel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders