Raynox 43mm 6600 w/ spacer instead of 52mm with stepup ring at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 18th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Raynox 43mm 6600 w/ spacer instead of 52mm with stepup ring

Hello, I am an owner of a 43mm Raynox 6600 (for my DV953) and considering a HV30 purchase. I have read that the 52mm with step up ring is preferred, but the lens is the same. So could I space my already payed for 43mm raynox 6600 out by 7mm and get the same effect as the 52mm version with the step up ring? Has anyone used a filter without any glass as a spacer?
Matt McConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Okay, there is alot of misinformation here,
the reason why a 52mm is 'preferred' is because the lens itself is bigger. Some say that since its bigger, there isnt much distortion (normally seen by wide angles) because you are in the 'sweet spot' which is near the center where there is little/no distortion to be seen.

To me, i cant tell the difference in distortion between a 43mm wide and a 52mm wide adapted to my hv30. Its noticeable for fisheyes, but this wide angle we are talking about, cant tell...

It has NOTHING to do with the spacing. Not sure where you got your information about the spacing makes the lens any better.. Also, 'the lens is the same' in the sense of quality and build, the difference is one is clearly bigger than the other...

In other words, what really matter is the quality of the optics itself. Raynox is great for its price and quality, thus it is recommended.

PS, not sure what affect you are referring to when you say 'the same effect as the 52mm'
Jack Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for clearing that up. I read in another forum the two WA adapter had the same glass, but it makes more sense if the 52mm glass is actually bigger than the 43mm glass. FYI here is what Raynox recommends...

Raynox High Definition Conversion Lens Accessories for Canon VIXIA HV30, HV20 HDV Camcorders
Matt McConnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders