HV30 MiniDV tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 8th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #1
Tourist

HV30 MiniDV tapes

I just bought a HV30 and would like some opinions on which tapes would be best value for money for HD recording. I'm going on vacation next week and would appreciate informed opinion from people with the experience with this camera.

Thanks
Sunil Dhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Costco sells a 10 pack of Sony premiums for about $22 or so.
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

And stick with the same brand after and forever. I use Sony tapes and have never had an issue.
Jeff Turkali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #4
Tourist

Thanks for your suggestions.

I bought the tapes at Costco ($16 on sale) for a pack of 10.

Do the Sony Premium Tapes capture HD images well? Is there a reason to buy the HD tapes that usually sell for a lot more?

Sunil
Sunil Dhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Tape rules:

Don't waste your money on HDV tapes. There is no difference in picture quality between these and regular MiniDV tapes -- it's all digital. Sony Premiums are fine and can be had online for a little over $2 each.

Tape manufacturers often say that HDV tapes are built to higher standards than regular MiniDV tapes. That's frequently claimed but so far no one has ever presented any statistical evidence, anywhere, that this is so.

Even if it is true you need to do a cost-benefit analysis to decide if overpaying for all your tapes is worth the reduced chance of a dropout, especially if such dropouts are easily cut around (as they are in all the shooting I do). If it's a once in a lifetime event and you want to maximize your chances of having every frame be perfect, then the more expensive tapes may be worth it for you.

When I first started shooting DV I used the TDKs available at Costco for about $2.50 each. I used a couple of hundred without a dropout or any other problem. Later I switched to the Sony Premiums because even with shipping they were cheaper. I’m on my fourth case of 100 and have had maybe three dropouts total in two years. Costco now sells the Sony Premiums instead of the TDKs.

Don't mix tape brands. Sony uses a different lubricant than others and switching could gum up your heads. Run a cleaning tape for 10 seconds and then pick one brand and stick to it.

Never re-use your tapes. They should go through your camera exactly twice: once when you shoot and once when you capture.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Re: Adam Gold's rules, I live by these same rules...
Old December 9th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #7
Trustee

Amen, bruddah!
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #8
Tourist

I am so glad I joined and posted to this group. I have a 2 week trip to start next week and have taken 12 miniDV tapes. I'm hoping for a new beginning in amateur videography. Thank you for the rules.
Sunil Dhar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders