footage from my new hv30 take a look at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

footage from my new hv30 take a look

I just got my hv30 Friday,its a cool camera I like the color it produced .
I took it out yesterday this is what I film hv30 day 2 on Vimeo
Anthony Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 10:34 PM   #2
Trustee

I think you're going to enjoy it a lot. My son has one, I had the HV20 but now work with a pair of HF100's.

I had a look at some of the other things on your Vimeo channel and am intrigued by the film you might be working on. I've got a couple of suggestions for you, it looks like you are getting into some high contrast situations with associated exposure problem potential. I'd suggest you run some testing using the Cine mode (not the 24fps setting just the "cine" mode itself), this uses muted color, reduced contrast, and a gamma setting that results in expanded dynamic range. This tends to avoid "blown out" highlights and some of the contrast problem I see in your test.

This mode can look kind of "flat" so on the Canon's I've had good luck with adding some of the "custom presets" like setting the contrast, brightness, and sharpness on the "plus" settings. This stuff is "to taste" so your actual preferences may vary.

I've used this "cine" mode on the last 3 camcorders I've had and am told my work looks quite "filmlike". I do NOT mess with the 24fps setting so I have no need to do any "pulldown" removal, I think the whole 24fps thing is an archaic holdover from the mechanics necessary for motion picture on film and the only thing it adds in video is some "flicker" some can see and others not.

Your music in the trailers sounds good, I really like it, although it competes a bit where there is dialogue. You could pull it back a bit so it doesn't try to dominate and bring the levels back up when the "conversation" is done. When that film is done I would really like to see it.

Here's a link to my most recent. A 5 minute entry in the DVC challenge held on this site.

The Devil's Due on Vimeo
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Bruce

thank you Bruce, i'll give some of those things you where talking
about a try,
Anthony Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Nice footage! I wish that cam had better manual controls. Although for the price what more can you ask for. Looks great!

What were you using to move the camera? Especially when you were circling around the gentlemen.
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thank you Todd

it was all free hand..
Anthony Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders