Questions about the Canon HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 15th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Questions about the Canon HV20

I'm going to purchase the Canon HV20, but I have some questions:

1) Can you recommend an online store to get this camera--at a nice price--and a store that offers a maintennance/service agreement for the camera?

2) I am a Sony post-production user and that means Vegas; I understand that I have to purchase third party software in order to edit in true 24p with Vegas, using this camera.

What are a couple of the software titles you suggest that are affordable--less than $150.
I'm basically going to use this camera to catalog vacations/trips/special occasions.
Not features. This camera is replacing a bottom of the line JVC camcorder. I will primarily make DVDs using DVD Architect--until Blue-Ray becomes more affordable and prominent.

3) Where can I purchase a 43 mm UV protective filter--I'm assuming such a filter will fit this camera.
Dale Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dale:

1. Wait for HV40. Out in a month or two. It is supposed to have 24p flagged so you don't need the additional software to remove pull down.

2. Use one of our sponsors here. A good starting resource is the seach engine at BH Photo. They have about everything.

3. HV30 is current version of camera, though it doesn't have the flagged 24p. If you go that route, you would need Cineform's NeoScene to remove pull down. I think that runs about $129.00. I use that combo with Vegas 8 and HV20.
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

4. Any idea what the HV40 will sell for ($)?

5. And here's true novice questions:

what are the different shooting modes on the HV20--in other words, can I shoot in traditional non-HD video (like I have been doing with my cheap, non-HD JVC) or are
HD, 24p my only choices when you buy an HD camera?

I have a few mini-DV tapes that have footage on them (standard, non-HD footage) and I am assuming I can use this camera (or any HD camera) to capture the footage to my PC using Vegas. Once there, I then have to concern myself with the pulldown issue.

6. What will HD video footage look like when played on a non-HD TV set? I'm aware, of course, it won't be HD quality, but will it still look morre than adequate for those who don't have HD sets (and are using a DVD I authored).

Thanks.
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

HV20 started out at about $1,099, but was quickly discounted to around $ 799.00. Right now, you can get HV30 for $ 599.00 at BH. Chris Hurd posted tentative price at $ 1000.
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

The HV40 intro price will be the same as the HV30 and HV20 used to be when they were first introduced... I think it's $999 or so. I just call it what it is, which is about $1000.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The HV20 is no longer available at B&H.

Please provide me with a link so I can check out the other sponsers of this site.
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #7
Major Player

The HV20 has been discontinued, being superseded by the HV30.

Best bet is to find it used online.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Is the HV30 every bit as good as the HV20?
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Nicholson View Post
Is the HV30 every bit as good as the HV20?
It's better ...

It's everything the HV20 was, but with added features:

30P
Better LCD
Better Zoom Rocker
It's black :)

The coming HV40 adds on top of this:

Native 24P
Custom button function

Unless Native 24P is something you'd really like, get the HV30 ... image quality should be identical for all the models.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #10
Trustee

If you are planning on using this camera for family use/vacations etc then I'd recommend you steer clear of the 24p function. Many casual shooters who use this mode complain than the images are jerky. This is often because 24p requires a certain style of shooting with slower movements and less zooming - the two trademarks of family-style shooting - and many people don'y understand or adhere to these requirements.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Re filter: Should be able to get at BH, too. The camera does have a built in lens cover that slides in place when when the camera is turned off, or switched to play. So lens is protected in those situations.
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #12
Major Player

1) BHphotovideo.com
2) Yes, you will need to remove pulldown on the HV20 and HV30. If you buy the HV30, however, you can shoot in 30p mode, and you do not have to remove pulldown for that.

The HV40 has no-pulldown 24P. It might be worth it.

There are freeware utilities to remove pulldown on the HV20 and HV30's files, but NeoScene is just quicker and easier. It costs $130.

3) BHphotovideo.com/Amazon.com.

4) The HV40 will probably retail for around $1000. Maybe more. Then it'll drop to about half that in 9 months.

5) HV20: 1080 widescreen in 24p or 60i, 480 4:3 or widescreen in 60i only. HV30 adds a 1080p30 widescreen mode.

6) It'll look damn good; for some reason HD video recorded and downsampled to DVD resolutions tends to look sharper than native DVD cameras.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders