Dead Pixel? For HF*** owners. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 21st, 2009, 01:31 AM   #1
New Boot

Dead Pixel? For HF*** owners.

Guys, got some strange stuff, captured some footage in absolutely dark area (so video is black) in cine mode, than I watched it on monitor and found some dead (?) pixels. Some bright dots all over the picture, they are appearing and disappearing. In automatic (and any other) mode there are no such issue, maybe because there are a lot of other noise, but in cine mode I’ve got this:

http://vorobfiles.narod.ru/snapshot20090121102523.png

It was hard to capture screen, but think you’ll see if you zoom parts with arrows.

Anyone here with HF cameras, can you make same video? Absolute darknes + cine mode, video about 5 sec, just to compare.

Thanks.

Last edited by Pete Bauer; January 21st, 2009 at 06:52 AM. Reason: profanity
Dima Vorobiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:09 AM   #2
Trustee

Dima,

I downloaded your sample and looked at the areas your blue arrows point to and under maximum magnification saw nothing but black. I don't see anything to indicate you have a problem with your camera. If what you see appears and disappears you may simply be seeing transient artifacts caused by your monitor.

If what you're seeing is on your LCD fold out screen, again nothing to worry about.

Just relax and enjoy the camera.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:43 AM   #3
Major Player

Dima,

My experience is the same as Bruce's.

I cropped the image you sent and enlarged it about 500%.

I cannot see any of the defects you are referring to.

I have attached the enlarged crop. Do you see the "stuck pixels" in this image also?

Your HF camera seems to work the same as my HF100 based on the prior post and frame grabs you posted in the forest. I think your camera is working correctly.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Dead Pixel? For HF*** owners.-enlarged.png  
Larry Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:21 AM   #4
Major Player

I can see the dead pixels in that 500% enlargement.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:36 AM   #5
Trustee

So can I, but I doubt that you'd notice them on live video...
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Major Player

I had to adjust my monitor gamma in order to see the pixels which were not black. At normal (unmagnified) 1920 by 1080 they are now visible but only visible if you really look for them carefully.

I have further enlarged the crop by another 3X, to a total of 15X, and shifted the gamma to emphasize the dots, so at very high enlargement they are very visible. I have attached this further enalrged, gamma shifted crop to show where they are.

Personally I would not consider this a flaw in the camera, particularly if these dots move with time rather than appear as stationary "stuck" pixels as you originally stated.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Dead Pixel? For HF*** owners.-more-enlarged-gamma-adjusted.png  
Larry Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:37 AM   #7
New Boot

Well, this screen shot isn’t good example, here are 18sec video in absolute darkness, is there is any one with good FULL HD TV or monitor, I would appreciate if you test this video :)

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
Dima Vorobiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Are they dead pixels, or just don't register low light as well as the majority?
Bob Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:32 PM   #9
New Boot

Em, sorry? What do you mean? The are some light dots, some of them "walk around the picture" and some of them stand in one place.
Dima Vorobiev is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders