Would the HV30 be a good choice to record car racing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 24th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #1
New Boot

Would the HV30 be a good choice to record car racing?

I would like to get a camcorder to record my son's car races. I'd like to find something that works for beginners, has the clearest picture that I can get, is able to keep up with the fast action, performs well under low lighting conditions (most races are at night under flood type lights), & have a good zoom (I will be have to record setting in the stands) I have been considering the HV30, but have been confused as to whether this camera would do a good job for my requirements & would appreciate any advice.
Stephanie Lovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Stephanie I have the HV30 and as much as I love and tout this camera I would probably look for a different one because the HV30 does not do well in low light, nor does it do well with fast pans. I think you're looking at a double whammy here.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Buys View Post
Stephanie I have the HV30 and as much as I love and tout this camera I would probably look for a different one because the HV30 does not do well in low light, nor does it do well with fast pans. I think you're looking at a double whammy here.
Car racing is typically done outdoors, either in the daytime or under bright light. And recording in 60i mode, I don't see a problem you'd have with fast pans.
Old January 25th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Go Cycle

Bring up your shutter and you will have no problem in outdoor panning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Lovell View Post
I would like to get a camcorder to record my son's car races. I'd like to find something that works for beginners, has the clearest picture that I can get, is able to keep up with the fast action, performs well under low lighting conditions (most races are at night under flood type lights), & have a good zoom (I will be have to record setting in the stands) I have been considering the HV30, but have been confused as to whether this camera would do a good job for my requirements & would appreciate any advice.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders