Raynox HD-2200PRO Telextender on HC Series at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 20th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Raynox HD-2200PRO Telextender on HC Series

I inadvertently put this message here, instead of the Sony HC-series forum, but I'll leave it, as this telextender would be of interest to Canon HV-series users, as it comes with a 43-37mm step-down ring.

I'm considering the Raynox HD-2200PRO, a 2.2X telextender, with a 37mm mounting-thread, for my Sony HC9. My question to anyone who uses it, besides its image quality, is at what point in its zoom range does it begin to cause vignetting?

I've had the large Raynox DCR-2020PRO for several years and have used it on many camcorders and cameras. It gives excellent quality, all the way to the edges, but vignettes fairly high into the zoom range (from 70% full zoom, to 90%, depending on the camera). I would expect the HD-2200PRO to also be a good performer, but I'd like to hear some remarks from those who have it.

The new version of this model is the HD-2205PRO, which is exactly the same, but comes with a long, barrel-shaped lens hood and a different size assortment of step-rings.

I have used the 7-inch long DCR-2020PRO on my HC9 and get good results, but it's bigger than the camera and not as handy as this 3.5-oz one would be. I also have a plot to use it on a tiny Webbie HD camcorder, by devising a mounting-ring for it inside the lens opening.

You can buy the HD-2200PRO for $125. (U.S.), plus $5. shipping, from B & H. The black version is $5. more. No indication what the price will be for the HD-2205PRO, or when it will be sold, but Raynox says it will be available this month. Added note: I've just found that Adorama has the new HD-2205PRO package for $139.

Raynox says the HD-2200PRO has a resolution of 200 lines-per-millimeter at lens center, which seems pretty good. The DCR-2020PRO is rated at 260 lines and I've used it on an 8-MP digital camera, with no loss of resolution, so 200 lines should be good for a 3-MP camcorder.

Last edited by J. Stephen McDonald; February 21st, 2009 at 04:09 PM.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders