HV 20 /Sony EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:56 PM   #1
Major Player

HV 20 /Sony EX1

We recently created this piece for our web site and much of the footage was shot with a HV20.
Pirates in Paradise on KeysTV

The female interview and some of the trial footage was shot with the EX1. It cuts together so well that we will be getting a HV30 this week for under $550. That's about 1/15 of what we paid for the sony with memory cards.
Just thought I'd share...
Best, Craig Hollenback
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Great job!

Would you mind telling which software you edited the piece on, and what steps did you take to mix XDCAM codec with the canon footage (I supopose AVDHD). Thanks.
Daniel Ridicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Daniel

Just loaded both type of footage into Final Cut and edited on an HD time line. Compressed with Squeeze at around 800kbs with sound.
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Tourist

That's pretty impressive, I have a hv30 and I didn't think you could mix an EX with it. I feel even better about buying one now.
Wilbert Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Major Player

We are changing direction

Wilbert, Actually, we are holding off now and waiting for the VIXIA HF S100 because our work flow will require loading from cards rather than tape. We hope the picture quality will be as good but have no examples or reviews of the VIXIA HF S100 as of yet so it will be a gamble.
Best, Craig
Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:56 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Craig - replied elsewhere, that piece looked good, but could definitely tell the HV footage... a bit dark and contrasty, but not bad at all. No resolution problems, that's for sure, more just how the cameras handle various shooting situations.

You might take a look at the new Sony XR series as well as the HF-S, I think both will do better than the HV30 in similar shooting situations. XR of course has limited controls, but the new "R" sensor is looking good for lower light situations, might even keep up with your EX! And the XR is showing up in the online stores already.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Dave...

I have not kept up with that sony series but I will take a close look at it now....thanks for the tip and comments...much appreciated!
Best, Craig
Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I also mix HV20 and EX1 footage.

While I can tell the difference in image, one suspects the majority of casual viewers cannot. Which is pretty crazy when you think about it.

I love my EX1, but the HV20/30/40 must be one of the best values in a consumer camcorder... ever.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:54 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S. Michael View Post
I also mix HV20 and EX1 footage.

While I can tell the difference in image, one suspects the majority of casual viewers cannot. Which is pretty crazy when you think about it.

I love my EX1, but the HV20/30/40 must be one of the best values in a consumer camcorder... ever.
While the guys here can spot the teeny tiny detail differences, 99.9% of casual viewers won't see much of a difference if any - while I often now see some of the big errors in release Hollywood movies, I know that very few others out there ever even notice.

This is where a "good" image with compelling content will always beat a technically "perfect" image that is meaningless, and even a "bad" image that contains a compelling message or content will still do just fine!

What's really cool is how much tool you can buy for the low dough nowadays, now if you could only buy talent <wink>! High Def drek is still drek...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Major Player

getting the HV30

I just placed an order for the HV 30 after much consideration. I was able to purchaase it for $563 from a well known photo and music electronic distributor. I also got the canon wa adapter for $170 from the same source. I have to say....inspite of owning the EX1 I am pretty excited about this little camera for the price. I was speaking with a friend yesterday about the canon and he shoots for networks also and uses a Panasonic HVX200. Now he's picking the HV30 up as well for those unobtrusive shots. It's nice when you can still get excited about something so low in cost that delivers such a good picture. Toss in a 3 year total warranty for accident and breakage for around $100 and it's hard to go wrong.

I'm glad so many have viewed the example of the HV 20/ EX1 footage on our web site.
Pirates in Paradise on KeysTV

The compatability between the HV20 footage and the EX1 footage is what sold me on the little canon.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders