Canon HV30 or Canon HG20? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 4th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon HV30 or Canon HG20?

Hello, I am in the market to buy a 2nd cam. I have the Canon XH A1 now and since I don't want to drop another $3k for a 2nd cam, I am looking at the HV30. BUT, then I see the HG20. Do you guys like the HG20? I like the idea of tapeless but am afraid premiere CS3 will have issues. I know the JVC HD7 is a nightmare to work with due to the proprietery file structure it has...TOC. So anyway, this 2nd cam will be used to film weddings and bands as a 2nd cam. I know it won't be as good in low light but my main question is... what are the differences between the HV30 and HG20 besides tape vs. hard drive recording?
thanks,
Steve
Steve Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Trustee

Besides the tape vs. hard drive it's recording format and imager size,
HV30 1/2,7" and HDV 25 Mb/s vs HG20 is 1/3.2" and AVCHD 24 Mb/s
logically, btw visually I like HV30 footage better, HV30 looks better as B cam for the A1, but
I am in the same situation, and picking 2nd cam for EX1 I chose HF S10 over HC9, which I sold, mostly because of tape recording, and it's great camera for the money,
take a look at HF S10/100, it's double the price, but even looking at the specs only I think it's worth it.
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Major Player

I'd go for the larger sensor (even if it is just slightly larger) if you are filming weddings with somewhat low light. I know my hv20 struggles as it is in somewhat decent light. You won't want anything less than that in my opinion.

As buba suggested, if you have a few extra bucks you might should check out the hf s10/100
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks guys, i will check out the hfs10, looks impressive, i can't find the hfs100 anywhere, but the 10 is at B and H...not available yet. hopefully it would become available before i need it in a couple months! also, since i'm running premiere pro cs3, i would need to convert AVCHD video. i hate wrestling with that stuff! that is why i have been sticking to tape...but i'm going to get away from it...already did with my XH A1.... got the firestore. nice that i don't have to convert!
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

after many days of thought i went with the HV30. i still enjoy tape and for what little bit i will use the cam, i don't mind capturing. the quality is still very nice, it's much less expensive and i don't have to worry about encoding AVCHD headaches.
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've got a new HV30 on the way, as of today. This will be the first. Primary use will be for capturing tapes. :)
Reuben Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The HV 30 arrived 2 weeks ago, but I haven't had much time to play with it. I went out and started some testing for a project that I'm going to produce.

Here is a Elapsed Time test shot at 24p. Canon HV30 Elapsed Time Test @ 24p on Vimeo

It came out pretty good, still need to check a few more shutter speeds, but I'm happy so far.
Reuben Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kraus View Post
I'd go for the larger sensor (even if it is just slightly larger) if you are filming weddings with somewhat low light. I know my hv20 struggles as it is in somewhat decent light. You won't want anything less than that in my opinion.

As buba suggested, if you have a few extra bucks you might should check out the hf s10/100
Michael Kraus,

I hereby invite you to see one wedding video which I shot with Canon HV20. It has some low light shot, I would really appreciate if you can go through, here it is: Just Married on Vimeo

Please do let me your reaction after seeing it.

I would really appreciate suggestions and feedback from everybody.

Thanks,
Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:41 PM   #9
New Boot

Xha1-hv30-hf100

Does anyone have the XHA1/HV30/HF100 combo?
Looking for some feedback as I use a XHA1 and HV30 combo but would like to buy a 3rd
camera just not sure if its going to be a HV40 or HF100. I would like to try tapeless but just seeing if anyone has any experience with the HF100 and a XHA1 with HV30.

thanks.
Nathan Allard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders