Eject a tape from dead cam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Eject a tape from dead cam?

I have a waterdamaged HV30 that won't turn on and I need to get the tape out. Would appreciate any suggestions.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If it's water damaged beyond repair then I'd simply take it apart with tiny screwdrivers. But the tape compartment sure isn't waterproof, so I'm thinking the tape won't be much use to you, and could (if the tape surface is wet) severely damage any deck you placed it into.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Hello again Tom, the water damage is minimal. I think what did it was a few drops of water running down my sleeve and into the battery compartment while pulling the cam out of my underwater housing. A contributing factor could be that it had a bit of beating as the screen shorted out shortly after I lost control of the cam in the middle of a rapid and the cam and housing did the rapid without me.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I don't know Canon tape mechs, but usually there is a small lever for manual deck release on Sony cameras - you probably need a Canon service manual from one of their cameras, and it SHOULD offer a release method.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders