Just played with the S10 at Best Buy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 5th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Just played with the S10 at Best Buy

I've got to say, picking up the S10 felt like picking up my GL1 for the first time. I don't know what it was but I was just reminded of that moment when I picked it up. The camera seemed like a really nice step forward from my HV20. Controls were there to adjust the image, the screen was much nicer to focus with, and I liked the feel of the camera in my hand, much better than the HF series.

However, my one problem with the camera, though this may just be some user error since I was playing with the demo camera in Best Buy after all, was the small dial towards the front of the camera. It's designed to be a multifunctional dial and would be pretty useful for a lot of things but when I tried to focus with it in manual focus mode, the focus was slow as molasses. What's up with that? Are all the cameras like this or was this a busted model? My little HV20 wheel could focus in and out with barely a finger tap but this unusually firm dial took forever to go from foreground to background. Maybe it was just a busted camera but it did cause me to jump back from my initial positive reaction with the camera. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I didn't have enough time to figure the camera's ins and outs, but was there a way to see what your exposure and shutter speed were at and how exactly would you get exposure, shutter speed, and aperture manually controlled? It looked like to me that you'd have to go into the menu options and adjust each one one after the other with the multifunction dial but that seemed off. I hope that there isn't a compromise between auto exposure and shutter speed.
Zack Birlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Major Player

I really like my HFS10 so far ... great image quality and good feel during use.

But yes, you are correct: manual focus with the dial is SLOW as molasses. It's much slower then the little wheel on the HV series, which is a shame cause the dial on the HFS10 is much much better in terms of grip and feel.

Manual focus with the dial is just unusable. I've relegated exposure control to the dial, which is far more responsive (so it makes it the camera's iris ring).

If I do manual focus, I use the joystick, which is much more responsive for manual focus for whatever reason.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Keep in mind that you 'should' be able to use the remote control to focus. That way, there is no virbration to the image. Inconvenient yes, but an option...

Bob C
Bob Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Is the joystick for focus really precise?
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #5
Go Cycle

YES....very good but I use the IRIS aperature in the LCD area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Atilano View Post
Is the joystick for focus really precise?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders