XLR vs Mini Jack? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 13th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #1
New Boot

XLR vs Mini Jack?

Is there a diffence in sound quality between a mini jack and a xlr plug on a shotgun mic? I am looking for a shotgun for my HV30 and I am not sure which would be a better choice. I am also going to use a lav mic so I am planning on getting a Beachtek DXA-2S.

Thanks,
Gabe
Gabe Piselli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Gabe.

Yes, there is a difference, especially if you use a preamp/mixer like the JuicedLink. The Canon amplifier is noisy - there'll be hiss on the line you just won't be able to get rid of, and depending on how much you count on your audio, you'll likely come to the conclusion it sounds like hell.

With a preamp, you can turn the Canon amp way down, minimizing the hiss.

The benefit to XLR over miniplug is huge, and will be most powerful when you decide to take the shotgun off the top of the camera and mount it near your subject. You'll want a balanced XLR cable, which will produce less noise, instead of a miniplug cable.
Dana Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Trustee

Dana has it right. A balanced line via XLR is a necessity if you're doing any long cable runs or are in an electronically "noisy" environment.

I've never used my HV30 to capture audio. That's always done on the XH A1 so I cannot speak to the Canon amplifier issues.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders