best SD cards for Canon S-10; best place to buy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 29th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #1
Major Player

best SD cards for Canon S-10; best place to buy?

Hi there,
I finally took the plunge and got the Canon HF-S-10; it has a 32GB hard drive, but I know I'm going to need some SD card back-up. The store where I bought it only has a 4GB card for sale. I know there must be bigger cards out there, but before I go looking I was wondering if people can recommend any: the type (not necessarily the make, if that's verboten on this site), and perhaps where to buy.
thanks, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #2
Trustee

Mentioning brand should be no problem. You want minimum speed of class 4 but with the higher bitrate your cam is capable of, I believe I would go for class 6 if possible. As far as brand goes, I trust Sandisk and PNY the most, I also hear good things about Kingston.

I just checked B&H, couldn't find much but amazon has a 16GB PNY at $50.10 and a 32GB PNY class 4 at $112 and change on the following page.

Amazon.com: sdhc class 6

I have HF100's and 4GB cards give me about half an hour, 8GB cards give me about an hour but I try not to "fill" any flash media up. I stop at about 80% capacity and change out media, like hard drives it is that last 15% or so when the risk of something happening to the media file allocation table is highest.

Short segments happen to go with my shooting style so I don't have a problem with stopping to change cards at 20 min or so or every 45 min with 8GB.

You'll enjoy using that camcorder, I see lots of positive comments from others who have it.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Major Player

thank you Bruce. Armed with that info, I'll go looking for a card.
Cheers, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders