Can you down convert with the HV30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 30th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #1
Trustee

Can you down convert with the HV30

I just got an HV30 to replace my HV10. I plan to use it as a 3rd camera, and as a capture deck so i don't have to use my H1 or A1 for capturing. Somehow I thought that I could down convert from hdv to sd out of the camera while capturing, like you can with the H1 and A1. After reading the manual, it doesn't look like you can. Is this correct?
bruce yarock
Yarock Video and Photo
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #2
New Boot

HV30 HDV - DV Downconvert

The HV30 can down convert your HDV tape to DV when outputting via firewire.
I cant remember how this is done off the top of my head but I think you go to the Menu when in PLAY mode, scroll to SETUP 2 and select DV Output as DV Locked.
This should work. I have downconverted HDV to DV many times with the HV30.
Tony Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks,Tony. After I posted, I went through the manual again, and discovered the dv lock setting. then I tried capturing and it worked!
I'm really happy now that i bought the HV30 because i can shoot with it, use it for viewing footage, and capture either hdv or dv. I often burn footage directly to a dvd recorder from camera, and i'll also be using the HV30 for this.
Bruce yarock
Yarock Video and Photo
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:15 AM   #4
New Boot

The HV30 (PAL-version) can downconvert to DV 16:9, but it can't crop HDV 16:9 to DV 4:3.
Peter Berggren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders