Whats wrong with this at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 17th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Whats wrong with this

My new hv30 gave some very strage reults at times in very strong wind , i was testing it with my SR12 both on tripods the sr 12s a lighter one, both had the IS left on, wide angle but the juddery effecton the HV30 is something i have not seen before. The cam was moving for sure could the wind blowing against the cam cause it.
40 secs of film
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn Hull View Post
My new hv30 gave some very strage reults at times in very strong wind , i was testing it with my SR12 both on tripods the sr 12s a lighter one, both had the IS left on, wide angle but the juddery effecton the HV30 is something i have not seen before. The cam was moving for sure could the wind blowing against the cam cause it.
40 secs of film
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
No inklins i just wondered if anyone else has experienced this in high wind, it is a concern with a new cam and expecialy regarding the hassle returning it is.
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #3
Major Player

What kind of tripod & head? Anything el cheapo would cause this for sure in strong winds.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #4
Major Player

It certainly looks like the IS is struggling at the end of its reach. I've not noticed anything like this. Could be something with the frequency or amount of vibration.

Alas, it is calm today. A couple of days ago, I could have duplicated...

What does it look like with out IS?
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Major Player

The HV30 was on a sturdier velbon compared to the SR12, i am hoping it was because the IS was on[although it was on both]the wind blowing against the cam must have caused it although it was held steady.Andy i have checked without IS on but it was not as windy so the affect was not there and it was not a true test.thanks
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Trustee

My mantra is if the cam's on a set of sticks the image stabilization is always off. Wind, vibrations from the floor/ground and your panning and tilting will run an IS out of smarts in a hurry. It's only guessing what's going on to start with and when you add in various discordant movements it's going to make rather poor guesses.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
My mantra is if the cam's on a set of sticks the image stabilization is always off. Wind, vibrations from the floor/ground and your panning and tilting will run an IS out of smarts in a hurry. It's only guessing what's going on to start with and when you add in various discordant movements it's going to make rather poor guesses.
Yes true but the shots had no panning, wide angle ,and were on the level, iam hoping it was the IS but strange the other cam showed nothing similar.
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:18 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn Hull View Post
Yes true but the shots had no panning, wide angle ,and were on the level, iam hoping it was the IS but strange the other cam showed nothing similar.
Different cameras, different internal mechanicals. Your comparison, while interesting on some level, isn't really important. Rule of thumb, from people a lot brighter than me, is to turn of the IS when on the tripod. The camera without issues should continue to not have them and the Canon's issues should disappear.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #9
Major Player

Certainly, tripod = no IS.

But, the behavior of the camera leads me to think that there may be something wrong. But I'd like to see with/without video to be sure. Still hasn't been windy here for me to compare.

Have you tried the HV20 forum? Canon HV20, HV30 & HV40 User Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #10
Major Player

Martyn,
That's a huge file and won't download for me. Can you post a You Tube or Vimeo sized file?
Definitely sounds like an OIS problem I experienced with my old XL1 on a windy day. Static shot, lots of "ghosting" as the OIS valiently attempted to counteract the buffeting.
Reality check never forgotten!
Hope this helps.
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
Certainly, tripod = no IS.

But, the behavior of the camera leads me to think that there may be something wrong. But I'd like to see with/without video to be sure. Still hasn't been windy here for me to compare.

Have you tried the HV20 forum? Canon HV20, HV30 & HV40 User Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Andy i got no help from the canon HV20/30/40 forum ,i plan to keep the IS off on trpods from now on,not sure what you mean by with/without video to be sure, thanks

Ken this is not so much ghosting as the picture looks like the tripod is being slightly shaken, i dont know why you cant get it up but i dont think vimeo has the quality to realy show the effect, glad i am not the only person to have had trouble with cams on tripods with the IS on, thanks very much for your input.
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #12
Major Player

Another thing that is a bit disapointing is fact red seems to be beefed up too much, green grass in the outdoor setting looks fine better than auto but in all settings red is too strong, it is especialy noticable on old buildings where it gives the neutral stone a slightly red look, i dont think there is a way to reduce red without reducing all the colors if i am correct.
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Martyn -
You've found the second big disappointment for me with the Canon - I noticed reds and certain greens seemed way over pumped, although I suspect it's possible to correct for this with all the tweakable settings. The body noise kept me from taking the time to bother, as there was no getting around it...

Over the years I've noticed a tendency for Canon cameras to have the reds look very over-emphasized though. Then again Sony tends to have blue/purple issues sometimes... it sort of depends on what you're used to.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Martyn -
You've found the second big disappointment for me with the Canon - I noticed reds and certain greens seemed way over pumped, although I suspect it's possible to correct for this with all the tweakable settings. The body noise kept me from taking the time to bother, as there was no getting around it...

Over the years I've noticed a tendency for Canon cameras to have the reds look very over-emphasized though. Then again Sony tends to have blue/purple issues sometimes... it sort of depends on what you're used to.
Thanks for the input Dave it looks like something i will have to live with , i have tested the HV against my SR 12 and if anything greens edged it for me with the HV also blue sky but there is little in it, the pumped up reds are the weak link on the canon for sure ,regarding noise i find using the rode stereo the sound is fine with no noise but as i have said before how a camera company can make such a poorly made thing is beyond me, anyway as i need to do lossless edited films it will have to do me for now and i still have the SR and FX-7 but i dont use it much now if theres a lot of walking.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders