Canon HF-S10: why can't I access Menu options at bottom of display? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 10th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon HF-S10: why can't I access Menu options at bottom of display?

Sorry for being dense... but I now I can't figure out how to access the different Menu items at the bottom of the screen (they come up when I press the Function button). I've read the Manual, and what should happen simply doesn't.
The Menu selection that's highlighted (in orange) when I press the Function button is the one at the very right-hand side.. I want to choose one of the ones to the left (Divide), but the Set joystick won't take me to the left.
Thanks for any advice...
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Figured out how to do this...
Thanks, Malcolm
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Care to share the tip, Malcolm? For the benefit of anyone else having the same trouble...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Chris,
I'm so deep now into crazy Canon->Mac->VideoPier->Avid issues... out of desperation, just installed Windows XP via VMWare Fusion onto my Mac, in hopes of being able to get a ten-minute chunk of interview off the Canon HF-S10 and onto my desktop.
As I struggle with this (the DVD that Canon supplied with the camera doesn't work on a Mac, of course, so I'm taking this almost unheard-of step, for me, of going Windows), and by the way, it's not working, I don't feel very confident about giving anyone any tips... but I'll try to remember (right now the camera is still hooked up, 'virtually' to Windows, so I can't look at it):
- the problem was that I was trying to choose one of the Menu items from the video file AFTER I'd selected it from the file choices at the top of the display (so that this particular file filled most of the display). This just wouldn't work. It's only if you leave the video files as very small little thumbnails at the top of the screen that the Menu selection works.
Does that make sense to people?
If anyone wants to hear more about the particular conundrum I'm facing, with one out of three (on average) Canon files, just let me know. Here's a taste: I've got one long (25-minute) file on the Canon, where I can screen every second of it, but when I connect the Canon to my computer (MacBook Pro, 10.5.6, latest QT), it's three files, and the middle one (even though in Finder I can see that it has 1.9 GB) is unscreenable, unuseable, by VideoPier anyway.
Any ideas, anyone?
thanks, Malcolm
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #5
Major Player

Just tried out an app called Voltaic, which converts from AVCHD to QT for Macs (maybe PCs too) - - works nicely.
Malcolm
Old June 20th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Major Player

Malcolm - if you've got an intel-based MacBook Pro, you should have no problems with AVCHD files. You need to get an editing program that will recognize them, however.

iMovie 09 works great, as does Final Cut Express.

Don't torture yourself with Voltaic or the other transcoding solutions if you don't have to!
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Chuck,
I appreciate that, but I've been using Avid for years, and can't imagine learning something else (wrong brain type).
I'm hoping Avid will integrate with AVCHD at some point... until then, I think I have to use Voltaic. What's the problem with it... is it that Voltaic converts (and loses something), and then Avid has to convert (and lose something) again?
Malcolm
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:35 PM   #8
Major Player

The biggest thing you lose with Voltaic is years from your life. It's slow.

You can use iMovie 09 to ingest as AIC files and then edit in something else. Those transfer to Final Cut ok, so I'm thinking, but don't know, that they'd go into Avid as well. Time code? mehhh... time code's for sissies...

Final Cut isn't that different from Avid... you could adjust to FCP quicker than you could transcode the files, I think. (You can remap FCP keys to what you're used to, by the way.)

By the way, the one-long-file being broken into three sounds like a PC FAT32 limitation of 4gb max file size. On OS X, you don't have that limitation.

good luck...
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #9
Tourist

thanks

hey guys, just a quick note. i just bought an HFS-10 last week in Japan.
i have a 3 (?) year old MacBook Pro with OSX 10.5.4

I have FCP 5.0.4 which I use with my old DV cams, but I guess it's not the best version to be using for the new camera.

my iMovieHD is Vers. 6.0.3 - dunno if it'll work.

bit scared connecting the camera to be honest.

last night i COPIED the folders containing the 15min of footage on the camera onto an external drive (rather than importing)

i filmed a concert last night so i gotta dump it

next move: what do you guys suggest.

i don't really feel that i can afford to upgrade to new iLife and New FCP...

arrrgggh !?!

(btw, i like your style chuck - timecodes are for sissies ! classic !)

if i do get the latest version of iMovie, will it *permanently* diminish the master file quality when it converts the AVCHD files ?

can you suggest somewhere that i can learn more about preserving quality when importing on a Mac?
Andrew Plowright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders