Got an HV40 today - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 30th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #16
Major Player

Canon HV40

I sold my Canon HV20 and bought a HV40. The HV40 uses the same battery, lens, and filters as the HV20.

I'm shooting only 24p and dropping 24p directly onto the Vegas 8.c time line. I have had no problems. It saves time, and I am no longer filling hard drives with Cineform files. I love it!
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 09:48 AM   #17
Inner Circle

In the old workflow, there is the fee (Cineform) method and the free (hv20pulldown.exe) method. So if you are using Cineform already, there is no difference to shoot PF24 or 24F. But for the free method, you don't have to deal with a huge intermediate file and extra step to wait for the removal process.
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:59 PM   #18
Trustee

Cineform is a major part of my workflow already, so I did not invest in it for the purpose of removing the 24f stream. Because of this, I was also unaware that this could not be accomplished with the NLE of choice, kind of like the old DVX100 24PA removal that was automatic. So I see how this could seriously improve the ease of use. I would also hope it improves the image also.

Thanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #19
Major Player

didn't realize that Canon's HV20/30 wasn't using a 24f like the other Canon HDV 3 chips. Glad i didn't get one. Might need to get an HV40 as a B camera for my JVC HD110 though. I've mixed JVC HD110 and Canon A1 footage before without too much hassel (inspite of the resolution difference) in FCP. I'm guessing the HV40 24p captures fine in 1080i 24p FCP setting?
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
Cineform is a major part of my workflow already, so I did not invest in it for the purpose of removing the 24f stream. Because of this, I was also unaware that this could not be accomplished with the NLE of choice, kind of like the old DVX100 24PA removal that was automatic. So I see how this could seriously improve the ease of use. I would also hope it improves the image also.

Thanks.
And 24p removal is not the only reason to use Cineform. The codec is as near to a lossless codec we will see at this level, and if you want to be able to edit generation to generation.
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Humphrey View Post
didn't realize that Canon's HV20/30 wasn't using a 24f like the other Canon HDV 3 chips. Glad i didn't get one. Might need to get an HV40 as a B camera for my JVC HD110 though. I've mixed JVC HD110 and Canon A1 footage before without too much hassel (inspite of the resolution difference) in FCP. I'm guessing the HV40 24p captures fine in 1080i 24p FCP setting?
The HV40 does record in 24F just like their 3-chip Pro Cameras (XL/XH cams).

You would capture the same way as you would the F modes in Final Cut Pro.

24F recording in the HV40 lays 24 discrete frames with no pulldown to tape, just like in the XL and XH cams.

Hope this helps.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Cineform also works very very well to pull up the 1440 to 1920 frame size if your mixing with
other sources that are native 1920....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:49 AM   #23
Tourist

I am so jealous but I am still contemplating on whether or not to get the HV40. Michael, your 2008 demo reel is amazing.
Joshua Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:44 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Parker View Post
I am so jealous but I am still contemplating on whether or not to get the HV40. Michael, your 2008 demo reel is amazing.
Thanks for the kind words Joshua!

Mostly all of the stuff in it has been shot with the Canon XL H1(S).

I think the HV40 is a great camera. Any reason for still being on the fence about purchasing one? Let me know if you got any questions about it.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders