HFs100 forum at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 20th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #1
Major Player

HFs100 forum

Is there a sub forum for Canon HFS10, HFS100, HF20 and HF200?
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I made one for our sister site:

Canon VIXIA HF and HG Series (AVCHD) - HD Mom

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

This is the first CMOS cam I've owned I've been noticing banding or horizontal lines in the image on some hand held shots and quick zooms. It doesn't seem to take much to get these artifacts.

Should I take it back and get a replacement? Or is this normal?

Does a fast shutter speed make the problem worse?

Last edited by John Novotny; June 30th, 2009 at 02:13 AM. Reason: change
John Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #4
Trustee

I've never seen anything like that.
Can you post some still frames?
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I notice the problem when out putting to mpeg or windows media and only when full screen. I don't see it in the source monitor in PP CS4. So it may be an encoding issue. I don't see it with Image Mixer either.

I've heard it's a good idea to turn off frame blending.

On side note I'm very please at how easily the i7 core handles AVCHD.

Last edited by John Novotny; July 1st, 2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: add
John Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Novotny View Post
I notice the problem when out putting to mpeg or windows media and only when full screen. I don't see it in the source monitor in PP CS4. So it may be an encoding issue. I don't see it with Image Mixer either.

I've heard it's a good idea to turn off frame blending.

It may be a graphics card issue. On my Core i7 machine full screen performance from sites like vimeo and youtube is problematic. Sometimes it works and sometimes it freezes on me. I did pay a bit extra for a 512MB card but it's still an ATI Radeon, Dell was offering no Nvidia card upgrades and sometime I may have to switch cards out. ATI Radeon HD2400 XT performance in my Q6600 flat "sucked", I had problems I couldn't live with. An Nvidia 8800 GT made immediate improvement.

If you can play those problematic files on a TV using some kind of media player and everything looks OK that would confirm a computer display problem.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Novotny View Post

Does it handle native AVCHD and which processor did you go for? 920, 950, 965?

Thanks.
David Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #8
New Boot

Artifacts

I know it's not my comp. I have some artifacting when panning. Much more than some ccd based cameras I have seen. My hf s100 is superior in comparison to some friends' lesser Hd cameras when the camera is still. Whether it be moving images or stills across the cameras opening. But, when u are moving the camera acroos the face of still objects----yuck! Not as good as there's!
Stacy Hostetler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Are you shooting in 24P, 30P or 60i. If you can try playing straight from the camera, HDMI preferably, to a TV. Sounds like compression artifacts.
Old August 9th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #10
New Boot

I have tried all those settings and when panning to follow even a slowly moving item my friends 1year old hd jvc is better. that goes for less artifact when moving and being able to make out the moving item when panning. His has a ccd based hd camcorder. No matter what setting i seem to use not much is recognizable until i stop panning. That's with me going slow as well. Different story when the camera is the still object and things are moving across the face. Then my camera is better quality vid.
Old August 9th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Try shooting in 60i frame rate. With my HF-S100 I stopped shooting in 24 and 30 P. I shoot everything 60i. I can always deinterlace it in the NLE.
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #12
New Boot

You mean i could always deinterlace it with something like cineform? Cause i have been looking into getting this to code into avi.
Old August 10th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I don't know what editing software you're using but you can usually have it deinterlace your footage once you put it on the timeline. I use Neoscene from CineForm which creates CineForm AVIs which are much easier to edit. It only works in certain NLEs though. What is the problem you are experiencing? Generally, you use deinterlaced footage (progressive) for posting on the web, and interlaced footage to burn to DVD.
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #14
New Boot

i don't realy do much intensive editing with my vids---just simple transitions and titles and the like. I use adobe premier elements 7 but must admit don't know 1/2 the functions on it. I am no sure if it can de-interlace or not. I don't think so, I have not seen this function on any of the menus.
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #15
New Boot

My original problem was that I tried to download avchd directly to youtube and it went ok. But, on playback audio and vid did not sync and the whole thing was choppy. Then i put the vid into premier and downgraded the quality a hair and reloaded on youtube and it played fine. But, there was a noticeable amount of quality missing.
Stacy Hostetler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders